We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Changing the icons | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Development » Themes
Rob - Admiraliteit Imedia

Yes Darryl B, we really did that.

We also emptied the cache, but we keep trying.!

In any case, we have learned something again.

Thank you so much.!

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Dec 15 '19
@ Skadate Sweden. FontAwesome 4.7 is free. After that they broke into a free, and pro version. The free version didn't have the full list of icons, and had limitations. I use the CDN in my themes which is actually suppose to help load times since it isn't having to load the full file.  FontAwesome icons, like other font icons are easy to work with by being able to size them, and set colors. With jpeg icons; you have what you have. With svg icons you usually need software to change size, and color. I'm not sure about the new svg icons in the FontAwesome pro version, but that isn't free, and can only be used on one installation.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Dec 15 '19

@ Rob

The only thing I don't know is if they installed a custom FontAwesome icon set with the theme, or if they are using the CDN.

You may try adding !important after the unicode  [ "/fo41"!important; ]

If they are using the CDN all of the 4.7 icons should be available. If they aren't, there may be some they didn't include in a custom file.

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Dec 15 '19

One way to find out what they are using is to look at the head section in the index.html to see if they are linking to the CDN, and which version.

If they downloaded a custom file, it would be in the fonts folder. If they did this, you could open that file to see what font icons they have available.

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Dec 15 '19
Just a P.S.  Make sure you aren't typing the letter o instead of the number 0 "/f041"
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Dec 15 '19
I understand.....are we are talking "cloudflare CDN" or "fontawsome's own CDN servers" ?

problem is if they own cdn is suddenly have issues with they servers then you own website have issues to.

hmm i use cloudflare on my website for speed up image and icon loading...but still there is alwasy extra loading when a fresh page is loading with no cache(specially if they load from a external server). second time much faster.

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Dec 15 '19

Sorry guys, we follow your conversations but we are a little above the mark LOL.

You are developers, we are not, but we learn a little bit every time and that is very nice.!

Thank you very much.!

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Dec 15 '19

Rob

do you have a path like this on you server?

ow_static/plugins/fontawesome/

or

ow_static/plugins/fontawesome/css

maybe can find icons inside this folders and or add,edit new css code there

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Dec 15 '19

I typically use cdnjs site.

@Rob  I looked at the page source. They aren't using the CDN. They are using a plugin. Who knows what it has, or doesn't have.  There is more than one way to skin the cat, so to say.  You could add the CDN to the theme, if you want to.

Just under the opening <head> tag in the html_document.html file in the master pages just add this bit of code, and you will have FontAwesome 4.7. I put quotation marks around the code. Don't copy those.  If you do add it, be sure to set dev mode to true to refresh the site. You should then be able to go back to the css mentioned earlier to make your changes.

" <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/...font-awesome.min.css" integrity="sha256-eZrrJcwDc/3uDhsdt61sL2oOBY362qM3lon1gyExkL0=" crossorigin="anonymous" /> "

The Forum post is edited by Darryl B Dec 15 '19
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Dec 15 '19
I was check my site and i not have this plugin:

ow_static/plugins/fontawesome/css

but you have i can see when load you page

so i think it is here you need add changes

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Dec 15 '19

I think like Skadate Sweden. It is a terrible "disregard for performance" error to load an icon beer from another URL ... That can greatly slow down the loading of a website and that a couple of icons are very beautiful, resizable or advantages thus do not justify.

There are many themes here with the icons in SVG format already included.

And if you install OxWall on a private network that does not have access to the global Internet?

I have never used fontawesome. The theme looks spectacular, that's true, but I don't like this technique based on using external resources.

We have indeed installed the plugin fontawesome, but in our opinion that only gives examples.

YES, we finally succeeded in changing at least 1 icon, so the others succeed too.

The fontawesome plugin indeed only gives examples and how you can make them bigger or smaller and also let them rotate as far as we can understand the plugin well but the google chrome that we use here has a major problem with emptying the cache now.

But we were able to see the change via Edge browser.

We did not know that we had to be in the base.css file for the theme.

Now we will think about that in the future.

People, thank you so much for bringing us on the right track and thinking along with us.!

We greatly appreciate this.!

With the best regards,

Admiraliteit Imedia

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Dec 15 '19
You are most welcome Rob 

Happy you did find the fontawsome plugin :)

Yes Patricia Zorrilla Bcn i think same you. It is a fast way develop a theme but not good add more requests. 

it is better try always lower external requests. and not very good to rely on another peoples servers and cdn to work as it should everyday. 

I know i use right now CDN and rely on cloudflare that they end servers should work but at least they are a big company that run for a very long time this cdn service.

Romuald
Romuald Jun 28
Hello, would I need a little help please?who it is or I could remove or change the text framed in red in attached piece,?
It can be found on https://www.blablaurgence.xyz/sign-in and the developer does not respond.
thank you in advance

Quote from Romuald Hello, would I need a little help please?who it is or I could remove or change the text framed in red in attached piece,?
It can be found on https://www.blablaurgence.xyz/sign-in and the developer does not respond.
thank you in advance
I think you need to install the plugin included in the theme package.

First extract this package on your computer and upload plus install this plugin (higgs_theme_control) on your website.

Pages: « 1 2