We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

SMTP configuration with oxwall | Forum

Christophe Tricaud
Christophe Tricaud Feb 9 '20
Hello,

New problem: I wish to use an outside smtp for delivery optimisation.

I tried to configure the SMTP settings sith no succes: I ttested the parameters and they work fine on my computer, I tested also gmail and it works fine. But on oxwall I have an error SMTP connection failed. I tried a thrid provider, always the same error.

I don't know what to do, since the parameters work fine with thunderbird with exactly the same parameters.

Thank you if you have any idea.

Best regards

Attach a screen shot

Christophe Tricaud

Paris, France

Attachments:
  smtp.png (11Kb)
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 9 '20
I use in my smtp settings:

Protocol: TLS

Port: 587

Look if you SMTP provider have other options available then SSL and other ports to use

Christophe Tricaud
Christophe Tricaud Feb 9 '20
I tried with gmail, I did not succeed!

However it must work with ssl, no?

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 9 '20
i remember that some smtp provider do not work with ssl and that they always offer another option like TLS and another port

try TLS see if working if you smtp provider use that protocol

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 9 '20
gandi.net look like a small smtp company

try another one and not gmail

there is many free on market. and try avoid ssl at first try 

second try can try ssl if TLS working

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 9 '20
if nothing working of my suggestion i think you firewall is blocking the connection

but it never happen to me

then you need looking your server firewall logs 

for example access logs on your server

but again try use TLS protocol and see if works with another smtp company

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 9 '20
when i search gandi.net i see it is mainly a host company 

maybe you did setup a smtp server on you own server?

i suggest you try many famous and free smtp service and not gmail to start with

try sendgrid or mailgun

i use sparkpost smtp and work fine and sendgrid and mailgun is working great with oxwall to

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Feb 9 '20
Christophe Tricaud
Christophe Tricaud Feb 10 '20
Thanks for your help and messages

It is not my FW, since it works fine with outlook or thunderbird with the same parameters. I tried also to disconnect him and nothing changed.

I tried with google, Gandi and free and will try with your provider.

What is strange for me is that the parameters work fine with other programs.

I will tell you when I will try this.

Best regards

Marcus
Marcus Feb 10 '20
What's your hosting 
Marcus
Marcus Feb 10 '20
If your hosting has 2 options for email client... 
One ssl

Another no ssl

Use second one no ssl however in ow smtp secect option ssl
Christophe Tricaud
Christophe Tricaud Feb 10 '20
Thank you for your help.

I used the tls option with sparkpost and it seemed to work. It seemed as Oxwall tell me this is ok, but I did not received the mails, don't found them in the database. Maybe I have to have a look on the cron.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 10 '20
great news it worked with sparkpost and tls protocol

i use sparkpost and i happy with they service very much and they are not very expensive

but feel free use any smtp company with TLS protocol it should working fine

But try not use ssl protocol

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 10 '20
if you not find the mail then you mail server is not setup with sparkpost correct

yes check cron but i think you cron working because you can see smtp connection working 

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Feb 10 '20
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 10 '20
when you setup you mail server correct with sparkpost smtp server then test you mail here:

https://www.mail-tester.com/

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 10 '20
i can highly recommend this company as your website email server:

https://www.zoho.com/mail/?zmc=zoho-fa&ireft=ohome

Then for smtp i can recommend:

https://www.sparkpost.com/

both this two together will work great with oxwall

if you decide host you mail and send mails from you own host company server. You can get problem with get ip that have bad reputation and bad delivery . i did that mistake when i was new. 1000 times better use a mail server company like ZOHO for recieve you mail and deliver

Christophe Tricaud
Christophe Tricaud Feb 27 '20
Hello OW_Ghost,

I subscribe with sparkpost and I am very happy with the service.

I have a question however and maybe you can help me: in the contactus plugin, the mil is send form the user wanting to contact us. In this case, the policy of sparkhost is to reject the mail since the domain is not the one which has been contracted.

Do you know how to cope with this problem?

Another question, would it be possible with a plugin for members to send email to another member without showing his own email, but using an email from the system as amazon does for example?

Best regards

Christophe Tricaud

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 27 '20
you email server (not spark post) is reject for example the support@mywebsite.com email.

you need add that email as trusted in you spam filter and your main email.

you always get help from zoho and sparkpost when you send them a ticket.

i think you email server is not setup correct and that you need ask them

check spf settings that you have correct setup

i suggest you use Zoho or other email server as you email host so you get rid of any blacklisted ip from shared host companys that uselly have issues with this because you share email ip with many others

for further assistance i would recommend send them tickets and they help you very fast because you pay them 

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Feb 27 '20
Christophe Tricaud
Christophe Tricaud Feb 28 '20
Sure, I did so and their answer was logical: this is a change I have to don in the oxwall plugin contactus, the mail can not be sent with the from set to the user email.

I changed the code in the php file

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 28 '20
ok, yes you can fix it like that or add correct spf value if i remember correct

there is one contact plugin in the store that fix this issue to
Quote from Christophe Tricaud Sure, I did so and their answer was logical: this is a change I have to don in the oxwall plugin contactus, the mail can not be sent with the from set to the user email.

I changed the code in the php file

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Feb 28 '20
dave Leader
dave Mar 8 '20

The issue with the contact page is that when you send an email in the way the contact us works, its  called relaying and to cut down on spamming most hosts anymore block relaying of messages. 

So there are two ways to handle this IMO.

First i brought this issue up with ebenezer about a year ago and he wrote a contact plugin to handle this issue.   Not sure if it still works but you can try it.

https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/1051

2. This is what i do with my other sites contact us page.   The email is sent from one of my server accounts to another server account, this bypasses the relay restriction. 

As far as the user email, i removed that field from the active header process and just moved it to a hidden field in the email (or you can just add it to the message itself).   Either of these will allow you to see the email of the user either in the source display if you do the hidden field or if you add it to the message itself you will see it in the text message. 

Both of option 2 require edits to the files. 

In other words one option - you look at the email source and you can see the users email.

The other option the users email is displayed in the message itself.

Hope this helps you.

If you know anything at all about php and html, a contact page is very easy to code.

The Forum post is edited by dave Mar 8 '20
Pages: 1 2 »