We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Ghost User | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka Apr 23 '20
Hello Forum.

I have a user on my site whose details are unable to view. He exists under the members but when i click on his name it says User not found. I cannot  delete him or suspend him. How can i get rid of him from our site.

Can someone help

Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka Apr 23 '20
Thank you very much.
Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka Apr 23 '20
Sorry to be a pain. but where is the file phpMyAdmin
Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka Apr 23 '20
Found and removed. Thank you very much for your help. 
Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka Apr 23 '20
Can i know why this happened.
Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka Apr 23 '20
Thank you.
dave Leader
dave Apr 23 '20

Thanks ChrisW

Glad you got it resolved, and you learned something... one step at a time and youll be a wiz soon enough.   :)  

This can happen for a number of reasons but usually if you use the default captcha this happens quite a bit.  The default captcha has been busted (exploited) for a long time now and bots know how to get in and create a username without having to fill in the form. 

Remember that the form and all its data can be seen in source view (pull up your form and right click - select view source) and so this just helps bots do what they do.  And bots are now even able to use console info to get more specific data such as JS and other values from poorly coded or older scripts.  This is why the registration process of oxwall really needs to be rewritten or at least add more security application to it.

This is another reason why i never show my full token key in any of my forms on my other software (not oxwall related), because the more info you give the bots the more they can exploit the data.     So in my other scripts the bots only get half the token, the other half is hidden, if they try to submit the form with the half they can see it wont work. 

It is a constant battle to keep up with the bots, yes most of the time we keep up with them and not the other way around.  They usually find an exploit and then the rest of us apply patches to patch it, thats just how it is.

So basically it appears that a bot was able to make a username in your site and exploit something to do so.  Find a better captcha is my first recomendation.

The Forum post is edited by dave Apr 23 '20
Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka Apr 23 '20
Thank you Dave. Will do.
dave Leader
dave Apr 23 '20

One trick we used to do with forms and i still use it sometimes is called a "honey pot".   The trick is to exploit the bot's ability to fill out forms.  

So what you can do is add a hidden field to your form, and leave it blank.  Now with it being hidden only the bots will see it (source view), humans will never see the field on the screen.

So when the form is submitted and the field has a value, we know its a bot and can deny it.

It does not always work, but keeping bots and spam at bay is done by layers of protection, there is no one silver bullet...

Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka Apr 23 '20
They are a nuisance. Mostly from Nigeria
dave Leader
dave Apr 23 '20
You can always block nigeria IP but then again they can just use a proxy and get around it.
Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka Apr 23 '20
Can we not block Proxy and VPN access. 
dave Leader
dave Apr 23 '20

You are somewhat limited on that since you are on a shared server, however see here..

https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/how-to-block-a-site-all-proxy.259681/

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Apr 24 '20
you can block VPN and Proxy with a plugin in oxwall store

https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/1641

Quote from Asoka Janaka Can we not block Proxy and VPN access. 

dave Leader
dave Apr 24 '20

Quote from OW_Ghost you can block VPN and Proxy with a plugin in oxwall store

https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/1641

Quote from Asoka Janaka Can we not block Proxy and VPN access. 

Yes that may be true but remember the more you use your resources in checking ip's and all the other data during registration, the less resources you have for normal users.  And since you seem to have a resource limit on your server, it is something to think about before applying.  

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Apr 25 '20
it is a external VPN/Proxy ip checkup process, not internal process in server, so i think no need worry it use any big resouces for this plugin.

But this company start get gredee and setup the prices and make more limits on free plan so i jumped out because i need many ip checks on my business and it get expensive if you have a bigger business. 

I decide stop scammers with photo verification , much better step to srop fake users.

Soon we will have a video verification plugin in the store ....can not say more about that right now....i put alot of work make this process better with SD right now. 

project i doing now.... starting create a instruction video that i will add to the plugin...number 1 to have real users on ýour website....

if skalfa team not interested solve this, then i need try go my own way solve the biggest issue i have and they have to but ignore it i feel everytime i take it up with them. they think the solution is facebook ,twitter,goolge sign up is the solution but you can buy susch account for 0,1 usd on internet this days and not working at all. 

team Ghana and team Nigeria have 10000 of this fake facebook,twitter accounts they use already with VPN. it is like open the ports for scammers only add such features.

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Apr 25 '20