We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Free plugins. | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Jun 10 '20

What will happen to free plugins that were taken down if the developer is not interested in it anymore or if they don't even reply?

Here is my recommendation:

How about to let the free items that have no longer support still be in the store and just add a tag "There is no support from this developer, use on your own risk."

For example, the speed optimizer plugin still works great and does not need support, It was removed... so now unless I had a copy of it somewhere in an old hard drive, this plugin is gone and I will not be able to use it again, because the owner gave those for free so I don't think he wants to spend time and money just to comply with this new rules.

Or else, where can we find a copy of these plugins? There was no time for us to save a copy of some of them before they were taken down.

That just my tough, what will happen to free plugins and if we can get a copy of all of them before they go kaput.

Senior Developer.

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Jun 10 '20
dave Leader
dave Jun 10 '20

So far the free plugins fall under the same umbrella as paid plugins with regards to support and rules.  This is why they have been suspended.   Eventually once we get some firm ground on the store, we will find something to do with them. 

Probably what will happen is that we may switch them to some sort of communty free plugin section. That way when and if they stop working, the community can fix them and submit them to the moderation team and we will install the plugin to be sure it passes inspection.  Then it will be updated in the store.

Thats my thoughts,  at the moment we have not tested them all and that will happen as it is requested.  So if you want a free plugin put back, just let me know the name of it and i can get you a copy after the 30 days is up.  Then send it back to me when its fixed or updated.  And ill figure out a place to put it.

Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Jun 10 '20
"Probably what will happen is that we may switch them to some sort of communty free plugin section. That way when and if they stop working, the community can fix them and submit them to the moderation team and we will install the plugin to be sure it passes inspection.  Then it will be updated in the store."

I like this idea, and maybe for new items it could work, but... Is this legal for this suspended items whose the developer never responds or those will be lost forever? That's what I'm afraid of. I'm talking about those that was already taken down.

If for instance we get a few days or so to download all the free plugins as website owners, then that would be perfectly legal to keep using them I think. Or am I wrong? Maybe is it too much to ask? I don't know.

I know you mean well and I'm sure that this changes are for greater good, I just think that was unexpected and we got no time to think what to do, you took all of us by surprise, and I'm still thinking what to do, but right now I'm downloading everything I can before more plugins go kaput.

Isn't there a way we can get a copy, today, of those plugins that were already taken down?

Senior Developer.

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Jun 10 '20
dave Leader
dave Jun 11 '20

One reason we have not done so yet is because of the legality issue.  Regardless of anything else that code belongs to the original developer.  However, i am wondering myself if we leave the attribution for the plugin in place and not change anything but the code, would that still give them their proper rights.  Basically the community would be doing the developer a favor by updating their plugin for them with no royalties or claim of plugin ownership. 

Or it may be better to just re-activate the free plugins in place and let the community fix them on their own servers and leave the origional copy in the store.    It is certainly alot to consider.  Sometimes in legal matters when you split hairs you get the short hair, and so it is alot to consider. 

As to getting a copy, there is not a way i know of on a mass scale to do that.  I wont apologize for attacking this issue, it has been long overdue.  But i will say that i acknowledge what you are saying and ill try to slow down a bit.   :)

Bob Bob
Bob Bob Jun 11 '20
No need for any apologies, Dave. I think most of us here really appreciate that someone is finally dealing with all the awful, non-functioning paid plugins in the store. If anything, we all owe you a big thank-you, for putting in so much work. 

As for the free plug-ins, I believe Dave's proposed idea of a separate "free community plugins section", where free but no-longer-supported plugins are available, sounds like a reasonable compromise. As Senior Developer pointed out, some of those plug-ins may not have received updates in years, but they still function perfectly well, and are still hugely useful to Oxwall users.

Oxwall Türkiye
Oxwall Türkiye Jun 12 '20

Hi everyone after a short break

I think it is ridiculous but old and new, I have 1000 nails plugin storage.

In fact, I only use old and unhelpful plugins to help people. It consisted of a list that I am sure is working properly.

But please don't anybody get mad at me for this.

This is for developers who lie to so-called people.

90% of the add-ons in the Oxwall store are garbage, and most of them constantly create problems. There are some names that I follow the works on this subject. But these friends ignore a problem I don't understand why. Oxwall plugins are not given a visual user-friendly look.

Another issue that I can not understand is why developer friends do not use more attractive interfaces. Oxwall is also the original limitation of the biggest developer errors. For example, many sites can be arranged with an oxwall. An automotive, shop, company, corporate site, but add-ons are designed with only a vicious circle. In a plugin, a whole system can be made as a photo store or a product store.

Finally, what I will say for old plugins is waste of free time, it makes more sense and easy to make the new one more flashy. Officially some are like a ruined building.