We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

The Importance for Plugin Developers to Maintain a Price VS Quality Perspective | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
Purusothaman Ramanujam
My point here is I do not work for free. Every thing except love has a price attached to it. When I get the price I set for it, I make it free.

So which of my plugin you see does not match its price? My prices are nominal in all cases. I decide the price based on the effort I put. I know all other developers charge based on the hours.
Daren
Daren Dec 24 '12
The words that you all been looking for is ...

WILLING BUYER, WILLING SELLER

if any of you do not understand that, you shouldn't be buying or selling anything AT ALL ! 

and Purus, don't waste ur time with all these man .. come on .. u r too bz for this, NO ? ....and where the hell is my tutorial ? lol just kidding ..

JB TECH
JB TECH Dec 24 '12
We want to pay for excellence. I'm not the one to tell you if you set a price or not, you made the plugin. This is just my sort of thinking though, that if you know the plugin won't do much, or doesn't make the site better in a big way, to have the sense of making it free. And this was never just directed to you, I'm talking about most plugin developers. Especially that day when there was a plugin that put the AddThis bar on the side of your pages, for $5, and for some reason I don't know why, but the Oxwall team let that happen (It's gone now, though.)
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Guys, let us stop this and do something useful to someone.

Opinions differ and if you are not okay with anything do not buy that.

Lets have this useless discussions closed.
Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Dec 30 '12

Purus just ignore this thread and keep up the good work buddy. 

here is something fun to try! Pick a plugin thats in the store now and then go see how 

much a developer would want to make you the same thing. Im willing to bet you do not get a quote thats less then 200 for anything. If you dont want it then dont buy it. If you dont like it then return it.  Meanwhile 100's of users need help and your in here bitching and complaining about the prices of plugins from our only few developers. 

I will be releasing a video chat soon that will be in the 100-200$  price range. I cant wait to hear how all of you want it for pennies after i paid dollars to have it made.

Oxwall Accessories

Quote from Jake Brunton My whole point, is that most of the plugin developers don't plan their pricing correctly.

Jake this is the only thing you have said that makes any sense.. your right dude. if a plugin only takes 1 hr or less to make then it should be priced at what a developer charges by the hr.  that's usually $20-$50! sounds to me like were getting a good deal!

Quote from Jake Brunton We want to pay for excellence.
the fact that we have someone making plugins at all is excellent! this was not the case for a very long time.
 grow up and quit bitching!

Oxwall Accessories
Quote from Purusothaman Ramanujam Lets have this useless discussions closed.

+1
Joseph
Joseph Dec 30 '12
A little off subject but wow this thread Lured Emil out of hiding that's something of importance he rarely responds to forum posts anymore
Emil Team
Emil Jan 1 '13
Joseph,

I think that discussions of plugin quality are important (pricing - less so), so I'm all ears when somebody touches the topic. Our only purpose with the Oxwall Store is to build a comprehensive resource of excellent plugins and themes for Oxwall.

Pricing is something I see of less importance, because free market and community will settle with whatever makes sense for different stages of the project.

Thanks everybody for your feedback. Happy New Year!

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Item review for approval is a good step but still needs some changes on it. I fear review before approval is not up to its limit now.
JB TECH
JB TECH Jan 1 '13
My argument stands still. I also don't respect the fact of being claimed of "bitching" and needing to grow up for simply pointing out opinions and what I see is wrong with the Oxwall Store. I'm not "bitching," I'm just stating my opinions which turned into an argument with Purus. Also, did you stop to think that these Developers that do the work on their own free will should be grateful they have people actually buying their plugins, most not testing them and judging by description? But, before I leave this worthless thread forever, I must ask:

"Would you pay $30 for someone to put a few links and pictures on your site, instead of doing it yourself?" Your answer is not needed, but to help you reflect on what all I was trying to state here.
The Forum post is edited by JB TECH Jan 1 '13
Emil Team
Emil Jan 1 '13
Jake,

Maybe it's better to look at it this way: We'll review all incoming plugins to make sure they meet the increasing quality standards but we will not review price.

There's no difference in quality requirements between paid and free plugins. I can recall an episode when we didn't want to approve a paid plugin into the Store. The developer said "Never mind, I'll make it free then", and he was really surprised that we didn't let it in even with the $0 price tag.

There's a common misconception about "price/quality ratio" that came from the world of physical goods, and which does not exactly apply for intangible products. We will approve a $200 plugin that puts a few links and pictures on your site, given that what it does may be valuable for buyers and meets quality standards. And then we'll let the market decide if the price is reasonable.

We are not going to set policies for prices - this is a slippery slope. We are not in a position to assess self-costs and margins for developers. Protecting customers' experience has nothing to do with prices.

Stuart
Stuart Jan 2 '13
Paul you should for yours, Great plugin antispammer. I think plugins should be around the $10 to $30 mark. I use four paid plugins on a community site and that sort of gets me near the $100 dollar mark.

I really do think that Pauls comments about an ebay style setup make much sense with oxwall getting a percentage and to cover costs of the store. If they did then more investment in the store could be made to keep it the best available.

Also it would be relatively easy to create a certificate authority on the oxwall site that allows private keys to be downloaded to sites with plugins so that multi sites don't get one for all.

The mechanism for licensing could be built into oxwall.

If you want oxwall to really take off then contribution licensing would add much. If you are going to help out on the forum, provide documentation or plugins and you get enough user reviews then you can get free or at least reduced rates.

It also acts as an anti-leaching mechanism and promotes contribution.

Also whilst I am thinking about it, anyone done an oxwall admin guide ebook. Would be welcome for me in the store as I could just give my users the ebook and say do it your bloody self :)

I don't think oxwall should be held in anyway responsible for pricing or plugin in quality. Again it goes back to pauls ebay style store. Not only should each plugin have a rating but the developer should have an overall score. The community should give feedback and two many bad reviews then the developer should be struck off.

The Forum post is edited by Stuart Jan 2 '13
Purusothaman Ramanujam

Quote from Stuart Also whilst I am thinking about it, anyone done an oxwall admin guide ebook. Would be welcome for me in the store as I could just give my users the ebook and say do it your bloody self :)

Good idea. I decided to contribute to the Oxwall Wiki and submitted few. Due to the reason states, I no longer feel interested and motivated.
Stuart
Stuart Jan 2 '13
I think an ebook for $5 a pop would go down well. Puru you should do it. Dummies guide to oxwall. I am pretty good with oxwall now and its great and simple. Other non techy users need a walk through. I would do one myself but I am really bad at documentation. 
Purusothaman Ramanujam
I am ready to do it which should be totally free. I feel it should be totally collaborative. I am starting it right now.
Stuart
Stuart Jan 2 '13
Ok I don't have access to my server today but will set up another tomoz.

PS personally think you should do both, create a pdf ebook and sell it. Time is money and money is time.

Emil Team
Emil Jan 2 '13
Guys, we are actually in the process of writing admin manuals for Oxwall. They will be available soon to anyone for free at docs.oxwall.org. It will cover most important aspects of administrating an Oxwall-powered website. (Code documentation is the next project)

A PDF ebook is a great idea for anyone to pursue, it can give a different angle and cover more ground than we can physically do.

Purusothaman Ramanujam
I made a contribution to Oxwall Docs Wiki. But my changes were not accepted for publishing saying that I need to add more details. I do not agree on this as no one can add detailed info at the first time.

Document creation should be gradual step by step. Forcing the contributors to write a detailed explanation will surely make them feel upset, as I am. You should approve them if they are correct.
Stuart
Stuart Jan 2 '13
Thats great news about the admin manuals. I am in agreement with you Puru as submissions need to be open and free flowing and have some mechanism to be rated. Be it plugins or documentation. Wiki's are a pain to administer and really owall don't need the hassle or overhead.

I would love to see some form of document section in oxwall in a similar vain to video's, links and photo's.

That way documentation could be free flowing and it would be rated by the community. I am not saying we have to have online viewers but maybe eventually. A document section that the community could rate would allow the good to float to the top and the dross to sink into oblivion without the need for approval or administration.

Also an indexer would be mega but all idea's for the future :)

I am waiting to see the admin manual and its structure. I love the way mysql do there documentation as its organised by version and function and numbered so its easily referenced.

Puru I will wait for the admin manual and then do my version of the pdf ebook. Just cut and slice the good bits into a collaborated article?

Pages: « 1 2 3 »