We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Plugin description - Google Maps Location | Forum

jk
jk Jan 14 '13

Compatible:

- oxwall 1.5.1 only

Overview:

The plugin allows users to input their current location and browse others' using the Google Maps.

It adds a custom profile's question with location map to the following pages:

- Join page;

- Edit page;

- View profile page;

- Search page;

Also, the plugin adds a general map where you can find site's users' location.

In Admin panel you can enter Google Maps API key. By enabling API key, you can  monitor your application's Maps API usage, and ensure that Google can contact you about your application if necessary. Read more information here.

The plugin uses Google Maps API and Google Geocoding Service to detect exact coordinates by user's inputed location string.

Please note, that there are some limitations according to Google API usage, for more information, read:

Google Maps Terms of Service - https://developers.google.com/maps/terms
Google Maps API usage limits - https://developers.google.com/maps/faq#usagelimits
Google Geocoding Service usage limits - https://developers.google.com/...mentation/geocoding/

If you have any questions, please, feel free to contact me directly via PM or create a topic in the Support Area.

The Forum post is edited by Den Jan 16 '13
Ser
Ser Jan 18 '13
Jasper : You are stupid! You can only criticize! Self learn and to write a plugin and then criticize others developers! loss of words!!! THIS PLUGIN IS VERY GOOD IDEA!
Oxwall CandyStore
Oxwall CandyStore Jan 20 '13
Being a developer I think it is a great idea for a plugin, especially at this time when Oxwall has no location functionality. A lot of users has been asking us recently about developing such a feature and it was already in our roadmap for the nearest months.
As for the price - I think no one except for a developer himself decides this aspect.  Let's not be so critical with things we currently do not need or maybe cannot afford. Peace!
Zaph
Zaph Jan 20 '13
Quote from Oxwall CandyStore Being a developer I think it is a great idea for a plugin, especially at this time when Oxwall has no location functionality. A lot of users has been asking us recently about developing such a feature and it was already in our roadmap for the nearest months.
As for the price - I think no one except for a developer himself decides this aspect.  Let's not be so critical with things we currently do not need or maybe cannot afford. Peace!

+1
Purusothaman Ramanujam

Quote from Oxwall CandyStore Being a developer I think it is a great idea for a plugin, especially at this time when Oxwall has no location functionality. A lot of users has been asking us recently about developing such a feature and it was already in our roadmap for the nearest months.

+1

I have been getting many request for plugin related to Location + Maps. Although I completed a plugin and waiting to hear from my client, I love this plugin.

I like the way it integrates well in to the profile. Good work.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Jasper,

There are different kind of users and they have different kind of expectations. Its not possible to any developer to create plugins only for you. It does mean that the last 10 plugins in the store are not worth as they they did not solved your purpose.

As developers, we only can understand the point here. Its not about being defensive or sensitive.
Jon
Jon Jan 25 '13
Hey all, I think this is great.  I added it to the site I'm developing.  I did notice on the user profile page that the location is listed as "array", but the user's location shows up correctly on the map.  Any ideas?
jk
jk Jan 27 '13

Jon,could you provide your site url or error's screenshot via PM.i'll try to solve the problem as soon as possible.

Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Jan 27 '13
I am having problems the map does not show up on profiles. we have a rather lot of profile questions could that be the problem?
jk
jk Jan 28 '13

Quote from Bob (Coder Whacker) I am having problems the map does not show up on profiles. we have a rather lot of profile questions could that be the problem?

A lot of profile questions it is not a problem for my plugin. Could you provide ftp details of your site via PM and I'll try to solve the problem as soon as possible. 

Daniele
Daniele Jan 28 '13
Hi Jk, it's possible to extend your plugin also for events and groups?
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Jan 28 '13
I will fist try the plugin out on my test site, I believe the problem is because of some other plugin, so I need to run your plugin, if it works then install all the other plugins purchased to see what one is clashing. I will report back with the answer. On the site I am developing I have a load of personal data about members. This of course makes it very wise not to allow anyone other than the owner in by ftp or cpanel. That would be a security breach and against the sites policies. Which states clearly that their personal data is protected, legally its an obligation.

jk
jk Jan 29 '13

Thank you Bob (Coder Whacker), I will wait your report.

Quote from Daniele Hi Jk, it's possible to extend your plugin also for events and groups?

Hi Daniele, my plugin will integrated with events plugin in the following version.

Also i plan to integrate this plugin with groups and photo plugin.

The Forum post is edited by jk Jan 29 '13
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Jan 29 '13
I have tested the plugin on my test site it was installed on a fresh Oxwall 1.5.1 and only one independent developers plugin Members Activity. Its not displaying a map on the profile page. I am caring this test out for a client and I and my client are very wary of the data protection act and there is a mass of personal data on my clients site.

I will be PM you the details of the cpanel of my test site under the understanding that you publish here what you done to fix the problem so that i can copy the procedure on Jacq my client site.

After my test the plugin will be deleted and not be passed on to anyone else etc as I respect your rights as the developer. I will being a review of your plugin tomorrow in the code library Code Whacker tomorrow its a nice plugin and very needed on my clients site.     
Daniele
Daniele Jan 30 '13

Ok JK, I will wait for your next version....for me It's very important this plugin with groups!

I have to wait a lot or this...;-)..?

Thanks

Daniele

Quote from jk

Thank you Bob (Coder Whacker), I will wait your report.

Quote from Daniele
Hi Jk, it's possible to extend your plugin also for events and groups?

Hi Daniele, my plugin will integrated with events plugin in the following version.

Also i plan to integrate this plugin with groups and photo plugin.

Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Jan 30 '13
Wonderful job JK, it now works a treat glad you are going to update to solve this little bug. Jacq my client will be very pleased. I will be writing a review on this plugin on Code Whacker in a few days or so. This is a very needed plugin and very worth any one paying for.  
jk
jk Jan 31 '13
Thank you for your review, Bob))
Jacq
Jacq Jan 31 '13
Just superb!  I'm going over to leave written feedback
Jon
Jon Feb 1 '13
I really like this plugin, but when anyone looks at a user profile, it shows their location as "array".  The map works great though.

Any ideas?

Pages: 1 2 3 »
This topic is sticky
You do not have permission to reply this topic