We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Email notifications not being sent after 1.5.2 | Forum

Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus May 22 '13
You are right. The updates go alright. But sometimes it take a long time.
Konstantinos Karasardelis
Quote from Aliia Kumi checked again. I am still getting notifications from your site even though I am not site admin.

>>But when a site activity concerns a user, updates can not be sent to the user concerned.

What are exact steps you went through when you faced this issue? Be as detailed as possible.

So it's working for some of us, but not all of us? How this can be possible?

Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus May 22 '13
what happens is that, if a user has not set email notification as immediate, it takes a long time for notifications to be delivered to their email
Alia Team
Alia May 22 '13
Kumi, if it is taking 2 days- then this is the way things should work. Not a bug. "Automatic" feature was designed that way: notifications will come if user was inactive ( have not loged in) on your site for 2 days. If he loged in, then he won't get the email, instead he will get instant notifications in upper right corner  under "Notifications" console item.

Alia Team
Alia May 22 '13
Konstantinos,

>>So it's working for some of us, but not all of us? How this can be possible?

There are several reasons.
1. Incorrect email
2. Mail server marks emails as spam
3. User have set notifications to "never"
4. User was loged in on your site when action ( for example friends request was sent) happened
Alia Team
Alia May 22 '13
So far we were not able to find any real bugs within the "Email Notifications" feature.
All reported issues were caused by  either:

1. third party plugin blocking notifications.
2.  restrictions on mail server
3.  Cron not being configured properly
4.  Incorrect emails
5.  "Never" or "Automatically" being selected by users.
Quote from Kumi Festus what happens is that, if a user has not set email notification as immediate, it takes a long time for notifications to be delivered to their email

The problem is that if a user has not set email notifications as immediate, then email notifications never arrive....

Quote from Aliia Kumi, if it is taking 2 days- then this is the way things should work. Not a bug. "Automatic" feature was designed that way: notifications will come if user was inactive ( have not loged in) on your site for 2 days. If he loged in, then he won't get the email, instead he will get instant notifications in upper right corner  under "Notifications" console item.

Aliia i tried this with accounts that i created by myself numerous times. I was always monitor the database activity for entries and the result is always the same. If the user has not activated immediate notofocations, then he never receives messages from my site and there is no database activity. This is not a mail server/spam problem/cron failure or anything similar... there is no new entry in the database, the cron runs but it just has nothing to do... the site never send the email in the first place. This is the problems most of us have.

Quote from Aliia Konstantinos,

>>So it's working for some of us, but not all of us? How this can be possible?

There are several reasons.
1. Incorrect email
2. Mail server marks emails as spam
3. User have set notifications to "never"
4. User was loged in on your site when action ( for example friends request was sent) happened

1. I checked that, mail is correct

2. I checked that, mail is not send from site in the first place

3. No, it is set to automatic

4. User has not browse the site for more than four days

Quote from Aliia So far we were not able to find any real bugs within the "Email Notifications" feature.
All reported issues were caused by  either:

1. third party plugin blocking notifications.
2.  restrictions on mail server
3.  Cron not being configured properly
4.  Incorrect emails
5.  "Never" or "Automatically" being selected by users.

1. no third party plugins are used

2. no restriction on mail server, site runs on a private CPANEL VPS with it's own mail server

3. Cron is working great

4. mails are correct

5. Automatically is the default selection and should work when this is selcted if the user has not browse to the site for more than two days, unfortunately it's not working.

I'm really sorry for this long post, but this is a real and serious problem that some people would like to solve but noone has a real answer and i hope you can do something to find a solution, if possible.

Alia Team
Alia May 30 '13
Konstantinos Karasardelis, no worries about long post. .  I have replied how to troubleshoot the issue with automatic emails here http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/10502?page=1#post-54859
Fred
Fred May 31 '13
I have done everything suggested, cron good on server (Checked by Hostmonster Guy), SMTP says good to go! No emails for registration link, no notifications, no email change verfication links, no private message emails; I am beside myself, I been bragging about Oxwall all the way up to two weeks ago when no matter what I do, it just wont do it...

About ready to scratch the whole site and go with SMF or something. Has anyone figured out the real bug here? Lots of great chat in ideas, but nothing has worked to date...

Fred 

Fred
Fred Jun 1 '13
OK - now this should narrow it down for script folks here; got it working, but not sure how or what it was...

1. Email came from script guy at Hostmonster: [31-May-2013 02:47:04] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds 

exceeded in /home1/XXXX/public_html/XXXX/ow_plugins/watchdog/bol/watchdog_service.php on line 159 I increased the maximum execution time to 600 seconds which should resolve the issue.2. De-activated watchdog plugin completely3. Ran cron manually for giggles4. Noticed Install folder still on server, renamed to 7 digit number fileGot an activation emails and now getting new PM emails from site to my email.
Issue has to be somewhere in those steps guys; finally getting emails...
Who is the best script person here to check it out?
Fred
Fred Jun 1 '13
Bam baby - just got latest activity emails too...

Not sure what I did but it is working, fricken finally...

Fred

Quote from Fred Bam baby - just got latest activity emails too...

Not sure what I did but it is working, fricken finally...

Fred

What is this watchdog actually does? I'll try to disable it and see if this helps... I'm desperate for a solution on this. People rarely return to site because they don't get a single notification mail...
Alia Team
Alia Jun 3 '13
Watchdog is anti spam plugin.

Fred, in your case most likely the fact that you inscreased max execution time solved the issue.

Konstantinos, I suggest increasing max execution time first and see whether this helps.

Fred
Fred Jun 3 '13
No clue how watch dog works, it's scripting, etc... I'm just not that good... Been reading all these threads on locked out of my site, no verification link, blah, blah; and by just disabling watchdog, I'm getting everything now... I did those steps above, don't think it was any of the others, but my site is finally doing everything in emails, notifications, PM notifications, activity emails...

Got locked out of my sight a week ago; had to hit send email like 50 times, nothing; locked out... Read a tread on changing a 0 to 1 in database and finally got back in...

After I started getting emails tried it again, was there in a few minutes; felt good to finally get that stuff working right...

Tried to give the Oxwall folks here a heads up; but seen nothing in any other threads about it... Probably just haven't had time to see if that is really the issue or somewhere in there...

Wish you luck Konstantinos...

Fred

Bekir Eyiengin
Bekir Eyiengin Jun 30 '13
we dont get the Automatic notification after two days.

1. Immediately works, also Massmail

we have tested everything, what can we do?

Alia Team
Alia Jul 2 '13
Bekir, most likely user has loged in.
Have you tried to troubleshoot the issue with notifications not coming after 2 days as suggested here: http://www.oxwall.org/...m/topic/10502?page=1; ?
Joao Constantino
Joao Constantino Jul 2 '13
Quote from Aliia Bekir, most likely user has loged in.
Have you tried to troubleshoot the issue with notifications not coming after 2 days as suggested here: http://www.oxwall.org/...m/topic/10502?page=1; ?

Hi Allia,

I've follow your suggestions and only users with Email notifications set to immediately get "most recent activity..." email (after 48h if they dont log into site...)

Users with Email notifications set to Automatically don't get "most recent activity..." email.

Any new developments about this issue?

Thanks in advance...

Alia Team
Alia Jul 2 '13
Joao, this issue has been reported a lot, but I was not able to reproduce it on the sites of the clients who reported it.

Have you tried to change the activitystamp ( reply #9 here http://www.oxwall.org/...m/topic/10502?page=1 ?

I will be glad to troubleshoot this issue for you.
I will need:
1.site url and access to admin panel.
2. access to control panel
Joao Constantino
Joao Constantino Jul 3 '13
Quote from Aliia Joao, this issue has been reported a lot, but I was not able to reproduce it on the sites of the clients who reported it.

Have you tried to change the activitystamp ( reply #9 here http://www.oxwall.org/...m/topic/10502?page=1 ?

I will be glad to troubleshoot this issue for you.
I will need:
1.site url and access to admin panel.
2. access to control panel
Hi Aliia,

I've tried to change the activitystamp as suggested in  reply #9 here http://www.oxwall.org/...m/topic/10502?page=1...

Sorry for my bad english, I tried to post that and the results in my previous post...

Can I pm you?

Thanks in advance

Alia Team
Alia Jul 5 '13
Joao, I will need

1. your site URL
2. admin panel username and pass
3. username and pass to your control panel.

You can PM this info to me, and I will be glad to recheck this for you.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »