We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Email from Oxwall site marked as Spam | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Justin
Justin Jun 30 '14
Hi guys! I looked around and I didn't see any posts about anyone having this same issue, but it's really frustrating me.

All of the emails being sent from my site are going to spam folders. When a new user registers, they get the email, but it goes to the spam folder every time! Same goes for mass emailing and all other features that sends emails to people from my site. I tried using 2 different gmail accounts to send the emails from as well as an email address hosted for my site via GoDaddy, but all three continue doing the same thing.

I tried setting up the SMPT mail and testing the connection works, but it causes no emails to be sent. I disabled this feature and went back to the default setting.

How do I get emails sent from my site to stop going into peoples spam folders? Thanks!

ross Team
ross Jun 30 '14
have you whitelisted the address?
Justin
Justin Jul 1 '14

Quote from ross have you whitelisted the address?

What do you mean? Like will every user have to whitelist the email so that it doesn't show up in their spam? 
Thanks

John
John Jul 1 '14
Maybe Ross means this:

http://www.whitelisted.org/

I have a similar problem with my Club emails. Over 80% end up in member's spam folders because they don't know how to whitelist me. This site may be the answer. Is this what you were thinking of Ross?
ross Team
ross Jul 1 '14
No I mean to add an e-mail website to the address book. When a user registers it sends out a verification e-mail. The message above the e-mail text area says that you need to whitelist a website e-mail. This way it will always go to your inbox folder. 
tammy harris
tammy harris Jul 2 '14
also test your mail server set up go here
http://www.mail-tester.com/
copy the email addy and in admin invite that addy then go back and click check your score
John
John Jul 2 '14
Sadly that would be like teaching a goldfish to talk. I bulk email an important newsletter to 100 plus club members every week. Over 80 of those newsletters are never opened because the member has NOT "whitelisted" our email address. At regular Tuesday meetings I cop flack from members saying they weren't notified about this or that. When I ask if they've added our email address to their contact list, most say it's to complicated. Not everyone is internet savvy.

I hardly think an Oxwall user who is joining up will spend a minute to add Oxwall to their "Whitelist" or contacts. I'm on dozens of forums and I've personally listed none of them. Despite this, I'm constantly updated by those sites. What are they doing that Oxwall isn't?

Maybe http://www.whitelisted.org/ is worth a try. At least you can see if your IP is on the "blacklist".
ross Team
ross Jul 3 '15
Topic was moved from Bug reports and troubleshooting.
Paul
Paul Oct 20 '15
Im having the same problem. Just did a test invitation email. It went to the spam folder. This is not the way to build a community.. 

Is there a way to solve this?

(My IP is not on the blacklist)

The Forum post is edited by Paul Oct 20 '15
Taissa Team
Taissa Oct 20 '15
Paul, A lot depends on the email where you have tried to send your invitation.
For example if it is gmail, you might want to read http://support.google.com/...8?hl=en&ctx=mail.
Also, check the spam filter of your mail client.  Your mail client might has set of phrases, and if an email containing these phrases comes, it  automatically goes to junk box. 
Paul
Paul Oct 20 '15
I used a gmail and a hotmail account for receiving the email. They both ended up in the spam box. 

When using other Social Network communities like NING iniviations didnt end up in the spam folder. (same emailadresses, same settings) 

So the problem is really the inivitation is sent from Oxwall.

John has summarized the issue already pretty well I think:

Quote from John

I hardly think an Oxwall user who is joining up will spend a minute to add Oxwall to their "Whitelist" or contacts. I'm on dozens of forums and I've personally listed none of them. Despite this, I'm constantly updated by those sites. What are they doing that Oxwall isn't?

The Forum post is edited by Paul Oct 20 '15
tammy harris
tammy harris Oct 20 '15
if you do a forum search i have answered this many times
also test your mail server set up go here
http://www.mail-tester.com/
copy the email addy and in admin invite that addy then go back and click check your score

once you have fixed  rdns and all the other things and got good score
then go admin language and change every word DEAR to Hi
and theres other words you need to changes as spam bots streught up make it as spam

search google on spam filter words

then you have sign up to all the providers like gmail and yahoo mail policy bullcrap things
so u get mail when aholes mark your mail as spam so u can ban that person ip from your site so they can not do it more
as the more they do the lower your mail sending reputation is lowered

its fair bit work you have to do but in the end all your mail will go to inbox

test both my sites and every mail goes straight to inbox

Paul
Paul Oct 21 '15
Thanx for your help. I think almost fixed the problem now. It had indeed to do with some spam filter words. First time I sent invites I used a translation template wich seemed to contain words markes as spam. I made a new welcome text and now emails dont end up in the spam. 

Unfortunately my current email adress is now marked as not trusty, people get messages like "probably fishing mail" or "sender is probably not reliable". So last thing I just need to figure out how to use another email for sending and hopefully everything is fixed by then.

John
John Oct 22 '15
I'm not sure if Paul's success was the result of a PM I sent to him yesterday, but it's essential that you change the wording on all Oxwall email templates before using them. Keep in mind that hundreds of users haven't and the spam filters are seeing the same paragraphs, phrases and/or words being used over an over again. If you think your email address has picked up a bad reputation, get a GMail or Hotmail address and use it for your Oxwall site.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Oct 28 '15
i done all the things you recommend. my email works perfect when i send from my host BUT when i send email from my oxwall site it ends in junk mail. i try use same content but not working. this not a way build community....there must bee something in the mails that goes from my website that hotmail and gmail not like?
John
John Oct 29 '15
I missed Tammy's reply above, but she's right.  If you don't completely reword your emails and avoid using spammy words, you will continue to suffer.  The difference between an email from your host and one from your Oxwall site is that the latter is automatically sent. Maybe the spam filters are picking this up along with suspect contents?

Have you changed:  Welcome to Oxwall! Thanks for joining us. Here are some quick links that you need to find your way around:

To: Hi, xxxx, thanks for signing up and we hope these links will help you find your way around the site.

and  change Oxwall administration

to  Regards, xxxxx, webmaster.

Maybe the filters don't like the links. All things are possible.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 1 '15
i have the same content and then i send from:

Webmail roundcube from my domain: PASS

Oxwall website: NOT PASS (Outlook smart screen filter)

what about google business domain email would that work? its only 5$ for 1 month anyone who try that? the emails will come from googles email servers? but how to set it up in my oxwall website? maybe this is a good solution that is not way to expensive like other third part services

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Nov 1 '15
John
John Nov 1 '15
It may be trivial, but make sure you change your site name. Sometimes we forget to do these things.

Settings/general/site name
The Forum post is edited by John Nov 1 '15
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 1 '15
what do you mean with change my site name?

if i do that i will start a new business with another name? i think that no good solution?

John
John Nov 1 '15
I did say it was trivial, but people do forget to change the site name from Oxwall to theirs. Emails are sent out this:

Instead of:

Pages: 1 2 »