We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Is Oxwall ready for PHP 7? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
ketkew
ketkew Sep 24 '15
Okay, PHP version 7 is as far as I can read not ready for production yet, but the production deadline comes closer.. so the question will be.. is Oxwall ready for this new release?

The most advantage will be speed, some test results for Wordpress and Drupal shows significant results:

Unfortunately at this moment I do not have the possibility to test OW on the beta version of PHP 7, but I'm very curious if OW works out of the box, same story for the plugins.. and how the speed results will be for this great piece of software :)
Tom
Tom Sep 24 '15
What version are we running again? I forget..
ketkew
ketkew Sep 24 '15
I don't know?
Joey
Joey Sep 25 '15
i use it on a test platform, and it works. But faster? i dont know :)
Oxwall Tips
Oxwall Tips Sep 28 '15
people here have not updated to 5.4 yet :D  ...so talking about 7 I think is a bit early. Within latest platform update as far as I know Oxwall stopped supported anything bellow 5.4 .
Simone
Simone Feb 4 '16
I've tryed php 7.

Newsfeed post status doesn't work (parseerror).

All the rest works good (but not more fast like php 5.3).

Jud
Jud Jul 7 '17
Hello everyone

I am on a fresh install on ubuntu 16.4 and PHP 7.0.18-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 (cli) ( NTS ).

I am getting all these weird errors.

The one that worries me the most - since oxwall is not functioning at all, is:

It says that php mysql module is not installed....

Any ideas?

Anyone has that configuration installed??

And following that:

Message:SQLSTATE[HY000] [1045] Access denied for user 'xxx'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

File:/xxx/ow_core/database.php

Line:226

Trace:

#0 /xxx/ow_core/database.php(256): OW_Database->__construct(Array)

#1 /xxx/ow_core/ow.php(239): OW_Database::getInstance(Array)

#2 /xxx/ow_core/base_dao.php(47): OW::getDbo()

#3 /xxx/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/config_dao.php(66): OW_BaseDao->__construct()

#4 /xxx/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/config_dao.php(55): BOL_ConfigDao->__construct()

#5 /xxx/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/config_service.php(69): BOL_ConfigDao::getInstance()

#6 /xxx/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/config_service.php(58): BOL_ConfigService->__construct()

#7 /xxx/ow_core/config.php(51): BOL_ConfigService::getInstance()

#8 /xxx/ow_core/singleton.php(17): OW_Config->__construct()

#9 /xxx/ow_core/ow.php(176): OW_Config::getInstance()

#10 /xxx/ow_core/ow.php(106): OW::getConfig()

#11 /xxx/ow_core/ow.php(151): OW::detectContext()

#12 /xxx/index.php(47): OW::getApplication()

#13 {main}

Type:InvalidArgumentException

The Forum post is edited by Jud Jul 7 '17
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jul 7 '17
Oxwall has not been approved to run on php 7. Several have tried without success.  They each encountered errors. The max php version for Oxwall is php 5.6.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jul 7 '17
I run PHP 7 with no errors.....I like it very much....they who have errors please forward to me and i will check my site if i have same PHP errors

i run newsfeed plugin with no errors what i can see visualy...

i can bee wrong but then tell me what erros you have and i will check if i have same...

Thanks

Ow-Ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jul 7 '17
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jul 7 '17
Did enable php7 on my second website no errors as far i could see?

I think with version 1.8.4 it works fine and no issues at all what i can see

I will check my php error log 

did check my php error log no errors at all

did check my oxwall error log no errors at all

I suggest you try it and JOEY you correct it works fine with no issues at all but speed i can not tell if faster yet but maybe i will try several test to see if there is any difference it is easy change php version with just 1 click and php 7 should bee much more safer to use i guess

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jul 7 '17
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Aug 30 '17
Hi there,

I tried Php 7 but my homepage https://www.myvirgo.info breaks and my other plugin pages but when using 5.6.31 which is the highest before 7 it works fine. I tried Php 7.0.22 and Php 7.1.8 but it breaks the website :( so i went back to Php 5.6.31 which makes my website stable.
The Forum post is edited by Webster Molaudi Aug 30 '17
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 31 '17

you use a oxwall standard theme?

what plugin pages you talk about?

do you use oxwall 1.8.4 version?

i would guess it is one of you plugin that creates this issue with php7, becuase i use many plugins and standard skadate theme and not have any issues at all.

anyways let see when the new update 1.8..5 that hopefully arrives soon if you will have same issues.

maybe you wait and look then try analyze what plugin that creates this php7 issue

can you show what happens with you homepage do you see any errors in you error logs?

if there is php7 issues you should have php errors in you php error log or you oxwall error log no doubt about it

have a look and tell us what you can see in you logs and what error shows in you hompeage 

Quote from Webster Molaudi Hi there,

I tried Php 7 but my homepage https://www.myvirgo.info breaks and my other plugin pages but when using 5.6.31 which is the highest before 7 it works fine. I tried Php 7.0.22 and Php 7.1.8 but it breaks the website :( so i went back to Php 5.6.31 which makes my website stable.

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 31 '17
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Aug 31 '17

you use a oxwall standard theme? = YESwhat plugin pages you talk about? = Ultimate News

do you use oxwall 1.8.4 version? = YES

Quote from OW-Ghost

i would guess it is one of you plugin that creates this issue with php7, becuase i use many plugins and standard skadate theme and not have any issues at all.

anyways let see when the new update 1.8..5 that hopefully arrives soon if you will have same issues.

maybe you wait and look then try analyze what plugin that creates this php7 issue

can you show what happens with you homepage do you see any errors in you error logs?

if there is php7 issues you should have php errors in you php error log or you oxwall error log no doubt about it

have a look and tell us what you can see in you logs and what error shows in you hompeage 

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 31 '17
Okey

But you was not want show any errors? 

In the error logs you can see why you home page not load or if there is any php errors in the logs when you activate php7

to just say a page s break is not helping very much to analyze what cause the break of you home page and you plugins pages

could you try deactivate ultimate news plugin to see if php7 works with out that plugin?

Quote from Webster Molaudi

you use a oxwall standard theme? = YESwhat plugin pages you talk about? = Ultimate News

do you use oxwall 1.8.4 version? = YES

Quote from OW-Ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 31 '17
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Aug 31 '17
Yeap....I deactivated ultimate news plugin the website and reactivated it and the website worked fine but when now only when I go to the ultimate news page / link I see a white spcae but my homepage was fixed it is working okay.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Sep 1 '17
ahaa cool...hopefully you could run php7 if the plugin developer would make the plugin support php7.

I not have ultimate news feed so i can not test to see if i get same result.

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Sep 1 '17
JB TECH
JB TECH Oct 17 '17
Bottomline: if you're running any PHP7.x functions and libs with your Oxwall install, it's not going to work. In fact, it shouldn't work at all from as far as I've tested.

Installing 1.8.4 on a XAMPP Localhost with PHP 7.x returns an installer error stating "Mysql module not installed" even though it is. Oxwall still has some good security issues on the back end, if you check the github you see where people were trying to add in new rehashing and hash checks for the password encryption but then after one reply the people never heard back from the developers.

People think the team is still actively working on the software because of the bitbucket and github pages but what everyone should look at is those are small commits from 3rd party contributors. I doubt we'll see a Oxwall 1.8.5 with php7 support. Not to be inciteful, but it's looking pretty glum.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Oct 17 '17

Hi Jake,

Oxwall officially does not support PHP7, however oxwall working on it. 
Significant amount of users using PHP7. 
There are several points to consider ( both server and software related). They are addressed bellow.

1. Software side: installation of 10800 version on PHP7 
    ( assuming you are on Apache or nginx with correct configurations). 
    This matter will be fixed in future release, when oxwall start officially supporting php7.

Before installation following file must be corrected: ow_install/requirements.txt
Line: PDO, mbstring, zip, zlib, ftp, json, dom, gd, mysql;
What to do: remove "mysql". 
Corrected line: PDO, mbstring, zip, zlib, ftp, json, dom, gd;

1. Software side: Error handling. 
    Typical error message: Uncaught TypeError: Argument 1 passed to OW_ErrorManager::exceptionHandler() must be an instance of Exception
    File to edit: ow_core/error_manager.php
    Line to remove: public function exceptionHandler( Exception $e )
    Line to add instead of removed one: public function exceptionHandler( $e ) 
    10800 version of SkaDate requires some

2. Server side ( applicable to servers based on nginx ONLY). 
    As with installation on any PHP version, you must have correct nginx configuration file. Most of the issues on nginx come from misconfigured sites-enabled/sites-available configuration file regardless of PHP version. 
    Known issue: incorrect fastcgi_pass path in nginx conf. file. 
    Example of correct rule: 
    location /index.php {

include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;
    fastcgi_read_timeout 300;
    fastcgi_pass unix:/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock;
    include /etc/nginx/snippets/fastcgi-php.conf;
    }

nginx configuration file is a very individual matter for each server, so oxwall can not provide universal rules. 
Each case must be considered separately. 
If you face any issues using oxwall on php7+ NGINX, please let me know.

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Oct 17 '17
sender
sender Nov 1 '17
On my site, PHP 7 works fine!
Liviu-Daniel
Liviu-Daniel Jan 5 '18
OW-Ghost, will there be an update in the future? (at least with minimal changes like testing it on PHP7).

I hope Oxwall will not be abbandoned because is a great platform. If I see that support continues I personally will buy more plugins. At this point I stopped buying plugins since it looks abbandoned, and error might occur and nobody here to fix them.

Keep Oxwall alive. Is a great platform.
The Forum post is edited by Liviu-Daniel Jan 5 '18
Pages: 1 2 3 »