We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Issues Updating from 1.7.5 to 1.8.3 on Bluehost | Forum

Musik
Musik May 22 '16

Hey there. My Oxwall site is hosted on Bluehost, which has had a slew of issues when it comes to updating the PHP version to 5.4 and properly updating to 1.8+ of Oxwall. This included me updating my server PHP version via .htaccess handlers, making my .htaccess file non-writeable, and other steps. However, I'm getting stuck and help is much appreciated. I included all steps taken up till now.

Process:

1. Updated .htaccess handlers to PHP 5.6
 (Bluehost has 5.4 and 5.6 available only)

2. Set .htaccess permissions to 404 so it couldn't be overwritten by updates.

3. Disabled all third-party plugins.

4. Set theme to default theme.

5. Enabled Maintenance Mode.

6. Enabled DEBUG Mode.

7. Manually uploaded 1.8.3 update pack.

8. Navigated to sitename.com/ow_updates to verify update.

9. Error: "Column not found: 1054 Unknown 'key' in 'field list' (see attached error1.png screenshot).

10. Searched Oxwall forums for information, found this thread.

11. Compared base_theme and base_plugin databases to separate working 1.8.3 install on server and found the same columns missnamed/missing. Renamed/added columns.

12. Site starts working, but when I attempt to go into the Admin panel area, new error: SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1064 (see attached error2.png screenshot).

13. Oddly, in a separate window where the Admin panel was already loaded, I refreshed (Ctrl-R) and I can access it (see error3.png screenshot). But initially getting to it is still a problem.

* I have Amazon S3 CDN and I briefly disconnected/connected it between steps 12 and 13, which may have resulted in the admin panel's current appearance. Otherwise, the admin panel works, but the URL sitename.com/admin leads to screenshot error2.png.

** Update to the first asterisk: This was not the case. See this reply:

https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/47600?page=1#post-184532

14. I re-installed the Cache Cleaner Extreme plugin and ran it. No change.

Currently at a bit of a standstill and any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The Forum post is edited by Musik May 23 '16
Attachments:
  error3.png (578Kb)
  error1.png (508Kb)
  error2.png (721Kb)
Musik
Musik May 22 '16
Adding another: Out of curiosity, attempted to add a blog. Received the following error screen (see attached error4.png screenshot).

EDIT: Comparing my live site database tables to my sandbox site (which successfully updated to 1.8.3 without issue), the base_site_statistic table is missing. Was this added for 1.8.3? Should I re-add it manually?

The Forum post is edited by Musik May 22 '16
Attachments:
  error4.png (734Kb)
Musik
Musik May 22 '16

Quote from Musik Adding another: Out of curiosity, attempted to add a blog. Received the following error screen (see attached error4.png screenshot).

EDIT: Comparing my live site database tables to my sandbox site (which successfully updated to 1.8.3 without issue), the base_site_statistic table is missing. Was this added for 1.8.3? Should I re-add it manually?

Update: Recreating this table manually in my live site database resolved this issue. Going to keep adding new content and see what other errors I can find.

However, still noting that I can't access the admin area via sitename.com/admin.

Musik
Musik May 22 '16
Update: Themes are not displaying properly, either on the main portion of the site or admin section. At first, I thought this was an Amazon S3 issue, but it's persisted so long, I'm not as sure. Screenshots attached. 

EDIT: Forgot to attach screenshots.

Attachments:
  error5.png (523Kb)
  error6.png (452Kb)
Musik
Musik May 22 '16
Update: Updating any theme results in the following errors, see attached error7.png screenshot.

EDIT: It appears my theme folder inside ow_static is downright gone. Currently working on manually uploading themes. This is resolving the image display issue.

Attachments:
  error7.png (601Kb)
Musik
Musik May 22 '16
Update: Manually uploading the theme worked. The main issue that persists is the following on the Admin Dashboard (see attached error8.png screenshot). The direct link to the Admin Dashboard (sitename.com/admin) is still not working, either.

That said, going to begin the long process of updating core and third-party plugins.

Attachments:
  error8.png (932Kb)
Musik
Musik May 22 '16
Update: Admin Dashboard issues persist, two newly discovered issues: I can't add a new theme or edit the CSS of an already uploaded theme.

When I click Add Theme, I get the following URL and a 404 page:

http://sitename.com/INVALID_URI

When I attempt to edit CSS on a current theme, I get a blank page. See attached error9.png screenshot.

Attachments:
  error9.png (388Kb)
Musik
Musik May 22 '16
After a long day, mostly up and running. Still have Admin Panel issues. I can properly access the Admin section via sitename.com/admin, but it's slow to load and doesn't display any of the site activity information my sandbox 1.8.3 install on the same server does. The previous issues of not being about to add a new theme or edit CSS on currently installed themes persist.

Any information to assist is much appreciated. Spent a good 16 hours on this and ready to call it for the day and pick up tomorrow.

dave Leader
dave May 22 '16
Have you considered installing a fresh full copy of 1.8.3 and just uploading your 1.7.5 db to it.  I have not done it so it is untested however i am not aware of any huge mods to the db structure since 1.7.5 other than adding some fields but i think they would all be at the end of the table so you should be OK. 

If you want to send me your basic 1.7.5 sql  file with limited user data (i dont want real stuff) then i will test it on my test site if you like. 

ross Team
ross May 23 '16
Musik, can you send me your admin access details and cpanel access details, I'll take a look at the issue? thanks 
Musik
Musik May 23 '16
@ross. Thanks, sent you the details. Site is in maintenance mode in the meantime. I don't want users to be adding content while we're still smoothing out the update.

@ross + note: My cPanel lists me at PHP 5.4 but the .htaccess file handlers set it to 5.6 and phpinfo() confirms.

@dave I'm definitely open to this. I'm not sure what kind of file I'd be sending you though. How can I prepare a basic SQL file with only some of my user data? 

Provided this experience, can I potentially put in a request for the Oxwall team to review Bluehost as a recommended server provider? If they finally update their stuff, they're fine. But ever since Oxwall went PHP 5.4, Bluehost has been a nightmare. I'm considering a transfer once I'm up for renewal in August.

The Forum post is edited by Musik May 23 '16
dave Leader
dave May 23 '16
Musik,  regarding the sql file there are several ways. 

long wayfrom phpMyAdmin you can export a full sql (structure and data)and then open it up and remove all of the insert commands. 

or you can export them seperately, do one structure only and then one data only and then open up the data only and remove the inserts for user data.

shorter way

from phpMyAdmin you can export a sql and only selected the tables you want to export 

shortist wayfrom phpMyAdmin you can export a sql for structure only which will give me all the table names but no data in them  
any way you do it, there is a chance that we will not duplicate an exact import because of the lack of user data. However we can come close and if it does not bomb then it will give us an idea if it will work or not.  

or im sure ross can fix you up after he takes a look. 

Musik
Musik May 23 '16

Quote from dave Musik,  regarding the sql file there are several ways. 

long wayfrom phpMyAdmin you can export a full sql (structure and data)and then open it up and remove all of the insert commands. 

or you can export them seperately, do one structure only and then one data only and then open up the data only and remove the inserts for user data.

shorter way

from phpMyAdmin you can export a sql and only selected the tables you want to export 

shortist wayfrom phpMyAdmin you can export a sql for structure only which will give me all the table names but no data in them  
any way you do it, there is a chance that we will not duplicate an exact import because of the lack of user data. However we can come close and if it does not bomb then it will give us an idea if it will work or not.  

or im sure ross can fix you up after he takes a look. 

Thanks! Will keep you in the loop. That may be our nuclear option if we can't figure out what's going on. It's been a long, long road to update from 1.7.5 to the 1.8+ versions of Oxwall. 
ross Team
ross May 24 '16
Please restore your backup and let me know, I'll try to update it from scratch. 
ovile
ovile Nov 12 '21
Getting the here fix windows 10 connections all way for users