We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

I'm Leaving Oxwall | Forum

Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Aug 6 '16

bobbi, What about iDragon Solution? I think that he said that he does have "Updates service".

dave Leader
dave Aug 7 '16

Quote from Maяcus

Dave at least you care what is going on and why people leaving and that is good....then people can always have different opinions ....that is another thing..so sometimes i like you dave, sometimes i not like you :-) hehe no hard feelings :-)

Marcus it is quite alright, i dont expect everyone to like me all the time, thats not what being a leader is about.  I understood along time ago that sometimes even when you want to do the right thing, some people get upset and feel like someone is either picking on them or abusing them in some way.  Neither of those things has anything to do with what i am trying to accomplish and it is certainly not my intention ot do so. Some people (like my ex wife) love to blame others for their problems instead of looking at themselves and their own actions.  

What im trying to say marcus is that its ok if you disagree with me, i dont expect everyone to feel the same or even like me.  It would be nice of course, but thats not reality, but its always ok to differ in opinion in a respectful way. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 7 '16
HW
HW Aug 8 '16

Quote from Jobee Bendijo 

I went with mooSocial. It's different, it currently only has a hand full of plugins. BUT THEY ALL WORK PERFECTLY WITH EACH OTHER and integrate perfectly with the core. And more continue to be published.

Me too!  My live site is being switched over (finally) tomorrow.  I have been so happy with them so far.  They have released and updated several new addons in the past few months since I discovered them and are soooo responsive to suggestions!  They immediately look at bugs and seem to fix them.  Their road map is clear and exciting to the average non-technical user.  I've hired them (at what I feel is a very reasonable price) to customize my site with features I want and to transfer existing content to the new format.  It just gives me a lot more confidence that there appear to be multiple team members around who actively provide support, listen to suggestions, and look into problems rather than brushing them off.

By contrast, my tipping point for deciding to look for an alternative to Oxwall was a 3-year-old bug related to PRIVACY for PRIVATE groups that impacts my site that hasn't been fixed (and that Ross insisted I was imagining at first) and I kind of doubt ever will be considering how old it is, the number of times/topics it has been complained about, and the usual response each time.  Then the difficult update experience, plugin incompatibility, vital plugins not being updated, etc., not to mention sub-par mobile experience, are all things that grow frustrating, especially when users are complaining about things you can do nothing about.  There's too much hodgepodge and inconsistency, and I haven't the skills to force fixes myself nor the time to teach myself the skills.

When I found Oxwall, I thought it was good for my needs, and it did work for me for a while.  There are a lot of good things about it, and for a free software, it's really not bad (though you need to spend quite a bit on plugins to get a truly social site).  It was an important step in the growth of my site.  However, I think the needs of my site (or my desires for what I want for it) have outstripped my tolerance for the issues Oxwall has that does impact my site.

For anyone frustrated with Oxwall...there are alternatives out there (not only mooSocial).  Every software has its problems and frustrations, though.  There is no perfect solution out there (especially for free or cheap).  For Oxwall, I believe that cleaning up the store, ensuring better or more continuous support/updates for plugins people rely upon (so they don't just stop working, leaving you in a real bind), better responsiveness to bug fixes, and additional support on the forums (I see the recent addition/designation of a couple new "Leaders" who seem to be helpful and knowledgeable members as a good thing) would go a long way toward making Oxwall a more viable option for people to stick with.  I think for some types of sites, it is very good.  I saw potential when I first started using Oxwall and still see it, even though I am choosing to move on myself.
The Forum post is edited by HW Aug 8 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 8 '16
I need take a look at this moosocial platform....sorry to see you leave HW.

I mostly frustrated about 5 main things.

1. turned avatars = crazy website and look funny

2. mobile version not support plugins at oxwall store only little plugins supported should implement a standard here that all plugins need support mobile version for have number like 1.8.4 in the plugin store. it is false marketing tell you plugin support latest core update because it only support 50% of the software and 40-50 of the mobile version it not supports.

3. my members can not edit they profile in mobile version.

4. slow page speed at mobile version in google speed insight tool.

5. some developers leave they plugin and not update them. (no support policy in the store)

there is much more smaller problems that i will not bring up here but small problems all software have...

But overall i very happy with this software and i see they solve very much issues every update and try implement SEO for make our business success and they thinking correct because our success is they success!

now i can not compare with another community software yet but i would bee nice to compare same you 2 guys doing here....

i was looking this software now and they ROADMAP was 100 times much better then oxwall roadmap much clear what they will fix in coming releases, please oxwall create road maps like this so we not need bee worry what will bee updated and not bee updated in future releases that are coming.

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 8 '16
Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Aug 9 '16
Hi Senior Dev,

Thanks for chiming in. I do have a very good dedicated server. I did make sure all requirements that Oxwall lists were met. 

So I honestly don't know, because I'm not a coder or programmer (and that could be a factor) why I need to truncate a database table every few months. I don't see anywhere in Oxwall documentation that this needs to be done to avoid 500 errors. But that's what puts my site into 500 error. 

Anyway, I understand the Oxwall community and how it currently works. It's a nice community, but to be honest, it's disorganized and lacks oversight by a leader. 

Because the mere fact that you mention:

"I have to say that when I developed my first plugin, I wanted to run a compatibility test with all the other third party plugins... this cannot be done right now and that is a huge problem, because I have to buy a plugin only to see if it is going to be compatible with my plugin."

So what is the proper thing to do with "huge problems"? I would think the solution would be to PRIORITIZE IT, AND FIX THE PROBLEM. This is something a competent leader would know and understand. People have been complaining about this for a looooong time now. But whoever is leading Oxwall seems to have his/her head in the sand. 

So either you do not have a competent leader, or you just don't have a leader, period.

Like I said, I'll stick around the community, because I think it has potential given a strong lead emerges. But it's painfully obvious to many there is very weak leadership, if any at all.  

Pages: « 1 2