We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Email notifications not being sent after 1.5.2 | Forum

Saif
Saif Apr 17 '13
I just noticed that after updating to 1.5.2 ( and now its 1.5.3 ) email notifications about activities are not being sent from my site.

Before updating to 1.5.2 my users were getting activity notification if they are not visiting the site for 2 days but now these notifications are not sent.

My cron is running well and i am seeing user activities.

Alia Team
Alia Apr 17 '13
Saif, in new versions (1.5.2 and 1.5.3) we have added a new feature into "Notifications" system.

May be the user you were testing with has checked "never" ?

Saif
Saif Apr 18 '13
Thanks for the reply Aliia ,

Default email notification setting at my site is " Automatically".

I have two test accounts, I didn`t login for more than 2 days using these accounts.sent a test PM  , unfriend and sent friend request to both the accounts but .. didn`t get any email notification.

Arifur Rahman
Arifur Rahman Apr 20 '13
I'm also geeting same issue..
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Apr 20 '13
Broadcasts and Invite doesn't doesn't alert peoples personal email accounts after Oxwall software update version 1.5.3 (build 6341), my cron command has always been set as follows:

/usr/bin/php -q /home/krunch/public_html/ow_cron/run.php

There must be an issue with the software update!!

The Forum post is edited by Kяuncн Apr 20 '13
ben
ben Apr 22 '13
Cron working, mass mailing working, email notification not working
Alia Team
Alia Apr 22 '13
Can you guys PM me access to your admin panel so that I can check this ?
Saif
Saif Apr 23 '13
Admin panel ? Do you mean Admin ID and pass ? Please login to my site Aliia I will pass you admin powers.

www.bazmeurdu.net

In reference to this http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/10173 

If I set preference as "  Immediately " I get Email but No email for " Automatically ".

Alia Team
Alia Apr 24 '13
Saif, registered on your site as "aliiaoxwallsupport" user.
Can you send a PM to this user? And I will check whether I receive the notice.
Saif
Saif Apr 24 '13
There is Welcome message for ne users , Sent another PM too . Thanks
ben
ben Apr 24 '13
Let's wait for 2-3 days for auto setting
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Apr 24 '13

Quote from Aliia Can you guys PM me access to your admin panel so that I can check this ?

I have been working closely with an Arvixe support guy who is fluent in Oxwall script, he went to my  SMTP settings and set those proper as well, See screenie below...

I will PM log-in credentials for you as well..
The Forum post is edited by Kяuncн Apr 24 '13
Abbey
Abbey Apr 24 '13
I'm having an issue with cron . my online list doesn't seem to be clearing, members have been logged on for hours, unsure if notifications are sending, will look into that.
I haven't updated to 1.5.3 yeat as I'm unsure how to do a manual update as that update isn't showing on my admin dash.
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Apr 24 '13
Good luck w/that manual update stuff....
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Apr 24 '13
Do not change your cron path the original that was working prior to the 1.5.2 update is correct. Do not worry about the cron message in the admin panel its a bug that upgrade 1.5.3 is supposed to fix.

You problem is the notifications and that alone, so please do not get confused.

Now there are three settings for notifications and its your users choice to update their preferences to how they get notified. I personally am having no problems myself on Codewhacker and receiving my notification as per my preferences. But I did a fresh install of 1.5.2 as the upgrade from 1.5.1 gave me a problem. I also did not have the change cron message around for too long. It disappeared after I logged off and logged on. It was an upgrade issue. People here need to sit back and think especially the Oxwall team in my opinion.      
Bob (Coder Whacker)
With out the users changing their preferences they will have to wait 48 hours to get their notifications. If your users change their preferences to get notifications straight away and are not then there is something wrong.

This is not a cron issue. 
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Apr 24 '13
I have the plug-in that allows me to access per profile, I done this last week and set all as follows..

Email Notifications set/Ticked as Immediately

Whats not getting out is Email Invites and Site Broadcasts..
The Forum post is edited by Kяuncн Apr 24 '13
Bob (Coder Whacker)
So your sites other notifications are going out? Its just the email invites and mass mailing that has a problem. I wonder if its the plugin that needs an update?

Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Apr 24 '13
Yes the Sites PM (Private Mail), Notifications like so n so commented etc etc, those are fine, nothing is going out alert-wise to members personal emails..
Alia Team
Alia Apr 25 '13
>> If your users change their preferences to get notifications straight away and are not then there is something wrong. This is not a cron issue.

I will disagree with you.
Notifications, in particular,  work only via CRON.
Immediately- means notifications will be sent when your Cron runs right away.
Auto- means notifications will be sent when your Cron runs, but only after 2 days are passed and if user was not loged in to your site.

Regarding other emails.

Mass Mailing - runs via CRON as well.
Invite users via contact importer- runs via CRON as well.

You can always see which emails are sent by cron if you check orginal .php source code.
For example, source code of email.php ( ow_plugins/contact_importer/controllers).
The code says:   OW::getMailer()->addListToQueue($mails); .

Whenever you see addListToQueue - means CRON is involved in the process.
Important thing to remember is if you enable SMTP,  ALL emails will be sent when CRON runs.

For those who have installed fresh copy of 1.5.2 or 1.5.3 OR have older versions but have never set their CRON:

a) since your CRON is not set, you will be getting a notice in admin panel saying that you should set it up.
b) until you set your CRON and it actually runs first time, your CRON will be running every time somebody refreshes any page on your site. This is the new feature that was added in 1.5.2 version to make things easier for those who actually don't need and don't want to dig into setting CRON manually. How does this work with notifications?

Somebody comes to your site, refreshes your page>>Cron runs>>email notifications that were added to Queque will be sent>> 50 emails are sent every 10 minutes.

One day you will go to  your control panel and decide to set your CRON. Once you do that, and if everything goes well, the feature that runs CRON every time the page is refreshed will be deactivated when your newly set CRON runs. From now on, all notifications will work only according to your CRON's settings.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 »