We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Social Share Image Defult Not changing on fb... | Forum

Michele
Michele Nov 13 '15
So bad news, fresh install of the 1.7.5 and facebook tells me it's picking up the new building image as OG image (cropped it so it was a little different than last time)  yet it tells me it will only share the orange circle (and yes this is only what it is sharing)....

Again from above "If it's a problem with my caching what am I doing wrong if I've already followed the delete cache and did the fetch new face book scrap info, dozens of times?  And why would this be a problem on every computer (in my house/ town) and not just mine? "

The orange circle shouldn't even be an option for the fb crawler, as I replaced it in the Plugin settings?? Right?!

Trying to be hopeful for an answer here :)
Michele
Michele Nov 13 '15
And I *Did* delete cache info (set cache to 0) on my browser too, before doing new fb scrape
Michele
Michele Nov 13 '15
Ok so I deleted orange circle in the plugin Files and replaced with the pic I want in FTP/ File Manager..... just to test..... Fb Debug is still scrapping (after I put at 0 cache) the orange circle.... even when the circle isn't on my SERVER ANYMORE.

I don't know what to do anymore. Is Fb Debug / fetch new scrap  broke Just for me? How could it possibly be picking the orange up when it's not on my server?
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 13 '15
just install the version i sent you and in the plugin admin upload the default image 
then alow thing to setal down 
may take 2 days depending if you have cache headers on your sever or in htacess 
Michele
Michele Nov 13 '15
Thanks Tammy you're so knowledgeable!!. .  It is the 1.7.5 version and I don't know what the things you listed quite are, about cache headers or htacess, but I will wait 2 days and see.

I tried using fb debug on my mom's computer to re-scape and it didn't pick up anything different but orange circle yet...  so I will be patient for a few days :)
Ross will be back after the weekend too!
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 13 '15
one problem is it uses the tiny thumb avatar on profile and groups etc  and not the big image
or original image

i think this is main problem as the images are way under min size 200 x 200
og images need to be at least 600px wide even up to 1200px wide to render properly in posts to facebook

the images the plugin is try to share are 100 x 100
and facebook is confused and some times shows them correct other times bypass them and grabbing what they can 

ross Team
ross Nov 16 '15
I'm sorry Michele, but we cannot assist you in this case as you can see we have provided the screenshots of the same spots where you have issues with the share image and everything works ok on our side. Something is definitely wrong on your side and it has to do with the cache. 

If you want to, I can repeat the steps you did now and provide you the screenshots again, everything is properly displayed on my side. We have tried different browsers and OSes, we cannot reproduce the issue you are reporting. 

The Forum post is edited by ross Nov 16 '15
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 16 '15
ross this is the problem 
i used advanced seo to add proper size images to few groups and few profiles
and they 100% worked every time 
but others with the small image stuff up sometimes

one problem is it uses the tiny thumb avatar on profile and groups etc  and not the big image
or original image

i think this is main problem as the images are way under min size 200 x 200
og images need to be at least 600px wide even up to 1200px wide to render properly in posts to facebook

the images the plugin is try to share are 100 x 100
and facebook is confused and some times shows them correct other times bypass them and grabbing what they can 

tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 16 '15
i have add the last 2 lines  these in admin settings pages  in the hop it resize the images 

it seams to be working 

<meta property="fb:app_id" content="your api id"/>

<meta property="og:type" content="website" />

<meta property="og:image:width" content="650"/>

<meta property="og:image:height" content="430"/>

now this seamed to work but on testing it on my site has dam well got my website blocked on facebook now no page on my site gets shared right 

i have spent 3 hours searching google on this and from what i have found out is if theres to many things wrong 

like wron size images and wrong or missing og tags 
like debug the demo site
http://demo.oxwall.org/video/view/11

Inferred PropertyThe 'og:url' property should be explicitly provided, even if a value can be inferred from other tags.og:image could not be downloaded or is too smallog:image was not defined, could not be downloaded or was not big enough. Please define a chosen image using the og:image metatag, and use an image that's at least 200x200px and is accessible from Faceboo... See MoreAttempted Frozen Title ChangeIt appears that you are trying to change the property og:title from Barcelona - "Please Don't Go": SXSW 2011 Showcasing Artist to Barcelona - "Please Don't Go": SXSW 2011 Showcasing Artist . If so, you are not allowed to for this object because too many actions have been published against it.

tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 16 '15
the dam plugin has got my site banned i was so much better the 1.7.5 plugin version 

Michele
Michele Nov 16 '15
Hi Ross!. (And Tammy if you have any ideas). After 3 days and resetting scrap information again, only the orange circle on timelines.

This time I specifically had a friend who had never shared my site before who lives an hour away share (**to make sure this absolutely wasn't a cache or computer issue!) and she did and she got the orange circle. Screen shot. I appreciate you are trying and know it works for you, but at the very least it is not working for people in my State, and am only trying to understand why. Thanks!

Michele
Michele Nov 16 '15
Tammy, I don't think I had seen or heard directly about my site, if you share, does it share the orange circle?
(You could share privately with the locked "only me" option... which I often do to test things.

Thanks for trying to figure out everything with this plugin!:)
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 16 '15
please read what i have said 

your defaut image is way to small
http://faithintheworldnetwork.com/ow_userfiles/plugins/social_sharing/default.jpg resize it or upload a biger one 1200px wide
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 16 '15
the there the editor stuffed up again and carried the url on 
Michele
Michele Nov 17 '15
Ohe thank you for making that even clearer to me Tammy! I didn't realize... I definitely wonder if this is what's causing the problem.... I'll test and let you know!
Thank you again!!
ross Team
ross Nov 17 '15
I'm sorry Michele, but this is definitely cache related issue, as there's no orange circle image on your server, it does not show up in the source code of the page, which means that there's some caching on facebook, browser etc. We cannot do anything about the issue, just recommend to clear the cache
Michele
Michele Nov 17 '15
Hi Ross :) .... Right. I did change that just to try my hardest to get rid of that orange circle.

Ok so I've cleared the cache on all browsers (under all browser settings- I set it to 0) and reset fb scrape information.

Is there something obvious that I'm supposed to be doing in addition that I'm missing?

What is the caching on facebook that you speak of? Is there something else I can do? Thank you!! :)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »