We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Social Share Image Defult Not changing on fb... | Forum

tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 17 '15
facebook has cached the orange circle and is showing that because the og default image you have put in is to small 
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 17 '15
upload a 1200 px default image

put this in admin pages header
tell fb ur a blog will let you get away with some missing tag on pages

<meta property="og:type" content="blog" />

<meta property="og:image:width" content="650"/>

<meta property="og:image:height" content="430"/>

tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 17 '15
now thats maybe 7 times now i have told you i am starting to get over it 
if you cant help your self i am not going say it again
Michele
Michele Nov 19 '15
Hi guys! Soo Sorry I was sick mid week and got behind on a few big projects.

Thanks so much Ross. I had been going to Firefox's (and others) "Preferences" - "Advanced" and then hitting "clear now" for "cached web content". I hadn't been going to "History".

So that helped the problem somewhat. When I then shared on my timeline it showed no picture at all.   But following I went to facebooks debug page and fetched new scrape info, and somehow it was still saying it was going to show the orange circle.

So then I tried making my uploaded image 1200 pixles wide as Tammy had suggested.
(Thank you Tammy- I read that you were looking online for 3 hours to help try to figure this out...that's so remarkable and I can't thank you for your huge <3 to help enough!)

So I uploaded the new 1200 pixles. Fetched New scrape info from fb debbuger/ and cleared cache from the History and it's still showing the orange circle when shared.

Thanks Tammy I'll try that too, I'm just not sure what you mean by "admin pages header"? Is this somewhere on facebook, or on my oxwall website that I can insert this code?

Is this something I should be putting on my sites CSS changes?

Wish I knew as much as you guys! It's humbling!

ross Team
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 19 '15

go to

www.ursite.com/admin/settings/page

and in Custom head code paste this

<meta property="fb:app_id" content="urapiid"/>

<meta property="og:type" content="blog" />

<meta property="og:image:width" content="650"/>

<meta property="og:image:height" content="430"/>

then go to facebook developers
https://developers.facebook.com/

go to your api
copy the App ID and paste in the code above in urapiid

then save the www.ursite.com/admin/settings/page    page

these tags will stretch the tiny 100x100 images 
<meta property="og:image:width" content="650"/><meta property="og:image:height" content="430"/>

but it will get your site shares working 

tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 19 '15
ross why did the first 
www.ursite.com/admin/settings/page

in that post not go to a link ??
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 19 '15
and on your index page click custom the page button and drag the share widget to side bar 
so the tags show on all pages 
yes it does then stuff your whole site shares up and makes just about every page on your site have the same share image 
and cross our fingers they will add some way of upload a custom image for every page
and make hooks for every dev to make there plugins auto put the right images for there plugins 
Michele
Michele Nov 20 '15
Good news guys!! So I left it as is for a few days with the new 1200 pix width (I've been so buusy I only get to work on finishing up my oxwall once every few days haha)

And finally the cache'ing caught up with just that alone.... after 3/4 weeks of trying everything else.

I believe Tammy was right about the size!! I would have never guessed as when I opened my orig pic up in any editor it looked of comparable size to the orange circle.   Maybe there should be a warning as you upload in the plugin?

Just a thought.

I never had to use the custom head codes, after I updated my pic size.... yet good to know these are there and thank you SO MUCH FOR THEM!!  :)   For now this thread is solved! :)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5