We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

No Oxwall Development - Its time to decide! | Forum

Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka Aug 22 '20
Our users. For Oxwall to survive the mobile side of the platform should improve. The easiest way to have a jump start on the mobile side is to go into PWA. Developers start thinking about PWA’s. It is the future.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 22 '20
skadate do not put much effort on desktop anymore

they put all effort (1 people i think that develop they apps) on PWA/Android/IOS and try sync the apps but it comes with many problems

ASO is not same on PWA/Android/IOS and to sync meta titles and description and page content on all this 3 platforms i very bad ASO and SEO. And here skadate have problems big with they PWA that synced with android and ios. it is like a 3 in 1 package and that a very nice idea in develop point of view

but in reality a very bad idea.

ther is no fast concept that skadate try create with they 3 in one package. is works for sell to they who not understand ASO and SEO but for they who knows more about this. it is a joke

for example my PWA landing page have maximum 5-10 words because it is synced android and ios landing page

same with meta , you can not enter to many words because then you not follow android and ios meta limits

it very crazy and i told skadate about this and i guess they not interested about ASO and SEO only sell products

i have not test the apps that are in this store yet but visible is number one priority always

then skadate have hard keep up with all new rules that google and apple is spitting out and set end dates every month....i understand that skadate have problem to keep up now with all new rules ...specially when it comes to in-app phurcases there is many new rules all the time and changes that developer needs to do and same if you add facebook to you apps you will have alort work follow they new api all the time ....i not jealous they who build apps because there is RAINING UPDATES from google and apple , facebook, admob. gpr and many more things android versionas new apple ios versions new yes i hard keep up post all updates to skadate the latest months

I see one thing that skadate do wrong

THEY WAIT for END DATE to upgrade they apps 

INSTEAD of read all NEWS that google and apple is posting about UPCOMING requirements.

Why in the hell need to wait for last day update a software always...

You can do that mistake one time YES but do it over and over again is not a good concept and yes there need many people for keep up with all updates from this big companys google ,apple, and facebook

and to have a team on 2 people is not going to working like skadate have.....you need have at least 5 developers in my opinion

if success with a new oxwall software start with

1. IOS/ANdroid

2. PWA

3. Desktop

And have at least 4-5 skilled app developers in you team

SD and me did have same idea about open source app but little response from that topic i think appxprt was willing join and some more ,then it run out in the sand....

ow-ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 22 '20
dave Leader
dave Aug 22 '20

@rob  i cant speak for skadate as i am only part of oxwall.

@ghost   thanks for sharing.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 22 '20
oxwall 1.8.4 version is very very useful for start app development :)

The dashboard is already there and you get a free desktop version , maybe a old desktop version but who cares this days. Main focus should bee if start a new oxwall Android/IOS so i feel half work is already done for they who willing create a new oxwall

The problem is to find developers that good at coding IOS and Android apps. If have 3-5 i think could create fast apps that would look awsome then go to last part the big part the desktop version and try make you own desktop version or maybe use wordpress as desktop version ?

I would use wordpress as desktop version and later if have time and money create you own desktop version with PWA. wordpress have already PWA plugins that working great

I must say to defend skadate little

They apps could bee awsome if they have more people working with they apps and desktop software. But i know now they are very few people and i think they are maximum 2 or 3 people. But i based all this on my contact with skadate and i could bee totally wrong . but i have been talking with this guys soon 6 years so i think i not very wrong. again my wild guess it is one people who working with they mobile apps only and he in charge of that totaly. but that is not good. they need hire more people to boost they software and maybe even they could put effort on the oxwall version. I understand it would bee not possible work on both skadate and oxwall free version with so little people. and it cost money hire people

so they did right to pick main focus on they 3 in 1 package for oxwall/skadate

and this i wanted someone other do but never happen. only one man that runs his own project with slow development and i understand...who can fast make something awsome alone this days....they who have big teams will success thats my opinion about this...it is not one man work!

one more thing that is not positive with skalfa in this many years

they never ever BETA TESTING they apps for long time before they release new versions. This cause huge problems for me and i was get so many bad reviews just because of this . and the reviews on you brand are very hard build up again after release not working apps . 

Beta tester is very very importen for a app developer and you can not ignore that part.

I like beta testing and suggest things that could bee better i love to do that . that is the only thing i can do and many others here to that no coding skills

i have two dreams:

1. work as a tester on any company that give me a sallery that i can live on

Or

2. setup and run a website with apps that you can fully live on the money it brings to you

I hope number 2 come true one day, i have not give up yet :)

Ow-ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 22 '20
dave Leader
dave Aug 22 '20

Guys, we cant use oxwall code for developement, we dont own it and it would be highly illegal to develope a new project using it unless Emil gives us written permission.  Dont you all understand that licensing is important. We cant just take something just because we have access to it.  Regardless if it saves work or not or if we have to recode it all ourselves, its wrong to steal, period!!!!! 

Some of you keep tossing out that we can use this or that from oxwall, you cannot unless given permission.   And the permission you do have says that you MUST keep the oxwall attribution on the software, you dont own it!!!!! 

That is the reason for the new project. 

If you are going to do a white label you are forever going to have to worry about several things..

1. Are those rules going to change, if oxwall changes its mind someday about allowing whitelabels then guess what, your out of luck...  unless you steal it...

2. When the forum is dead and users are gone is the owner going to take the site offline, if so again your out of luck... unless you steal it which is sooooo wrong... and illegal....

3. The script can only get updated so far, its code is behind the times now with no update, eventually big parts of it will need to be rewritten to meet current requirements.  An you all said yourself that it does not focus on mobile.  So why would you even want to start off with a non mobile script if you are planning on using it for development in the first place. It makes no sense.

So we all have to face that fact that the choices are exactly as i said they were in the topic.

1. Stick with oxwall and go down with the ship..

2. Move to something else and try to port your data over.

3. Write something else from scratch and deal with the growing pains, it will be worth it in the end.

Those are the only choices you have unless you are going to just shut down totally.   Dont you think that if i was wrong about this that OxGermany or someone would say something.    Ox Germany gave the control to me because he too has tried to get oxwall to do something. 

I am trying my best to get you all to understand reality of the situation and to take action to save your investment.  But if you want to go down with it... go for it....   i will still be around to help you and get thing running if you have an issue.  

Is  Oxwall  a great core script YES, is it totally broken, NO but eventually very soon it will be.   Can we take it and build our own NO, not without following the rules and or getting Emils permission to do so.  Otherwise its stealing... plain and simple...

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 22 '20
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 22 '20
I think write something else from scratch is best idea

and i share this idea with SD and some others:

https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/66811

But alone i can not make this reality. it needs many developers involved for turn the wheels fast and not turn wheels slow as we are used with 

dave Leader
dave Aug 22 '20

We are working on building a team now for a new project, we have a number of commitments.  But as stated everyone has a talent and  can participate.   But we cannot discuss it here because of conflict.  We cant use the team section of github  because it costs money. So we will find a way to get something going in order to collaborate. 

We just need something simple that says these are the tasks, this is who it is assigned to, and this is the status, and we need user text input as well.    We are looking for suggestions.   I think a web based project manager would be better because then we dont rely on on persons server being up or down.   But if we have to go with some kind of installable deal then so be it..

Here is what i need to know,  i need to know your email addresses, you can pm me them.  I will not grab them from your account as that is a privacy issue and i do not have permission to do that and also its a conflict of interest. 

So if you want to stay updated and want links for the project PM me your email address so that i have permission to use it externally to send you updates. 

I dont want to turn this thread into a topic of our other project so that is all i can say....  Give email get updates... :0

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 22 '20
dave Leader
dave Aug 23 '20

Think about this everyone....

https://www.php.net/eol.php

So everything less than php 7.2  is no longer supported by php.   And php 7.3 is right around the corner as well.

as soon as shared hosts stop supporting php 5.6, oxwall will no longer install on its own out of the box without mods.

I figure maybe some time between now and end of 2021 hosts will begin cutting ties with 5.6.. 

This also applies to many of the auto installer scripts other than oxwall. i just downloaded serveral items to be able to set something up that  we needed and all of them were outdated bigtime.  So its not just oxwall. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 23 '20
Sumate
Sumate Aug 23 '20
Dave the oxwall that is on github is compatible with php7?
dave Leader
dave Aug 23 '20
I know buddy, but its not a official release.  However that is good for those that want to stick to oxwall, gives them alittle more time.    Thanks for sharing... :)
dave Leader
dave Aug 23 '20

If you want to contribute to the new project, PM me your email an ill send you an invite. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 24 '20
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Aug 23 '20

Quote from Sumate-RelajoSoft Dave the oxwall that is on github is compatible with php7?
It's compatible, OxWall works perfectly... But...But some plugins don't.Which ones? No one has done a list or exhaustive testing.We need someone to volunteer as a BetaTester, to do a new installation of OxWall, to create several fake users and logging in with one and another to generate activity
John Hilla
John Hilla Aug 23 '20
Dave, I love a good challenge.. I've been beta testing since Window Whistler, Longhorn and of course the loving battle of alleged last copy 10. I have a paid server, when the core is ready I can host code like Tucows used to do as backup host when busy.

On the side, I'm a Roku channel developer. Which is mainly in use of Json Feed Manager and Paint.DotNET

As I said I have resources you are welcomed to, as I am enjoying the current version. But I would switch in a heartbeat to this core.

Here is what I have learned in my short run with you.. although we can customize the theme, I accidentally launched developer tools in Microsoft Edge chromium, when I was clicking around my page outside the customization it showed small images in a folder of Oxwall. It was here I found the source of the themes and could extract and open in paint and slightly alter colors and then re-upload without changing names. This way no alteration other than appearence.

I can't code, but I do dable and tinker to make it work for me. This is how I taught myself to make a Roku channel using the template for developers long ago.
The Forum post is edited by John Hilla Aug 23 '20
dave Leader
dave Aug 23 '20

Thanks john,

The images for themes are in the images folder of the themes, thats good that you are able to get your way around eventually...  Glad you were able to get it changed how you like.  

John Hilla
John Hilla Aug 23 '20
With your core concept, will focus be on embed with a limitation from the admin or will it be a discretionary safelist. The safelist could be allowed to be expanded say for instance a user joins and makes a real post or contributes to the forum overtime proving trust. Maybe at this point an automated response sends an email that provides a link to form powered by Google Docs or Zoho Docs that is sent to Dave or whomever is in the team managing request that would show a timeline of voting importance to the core.

This would give an idea your idea is being reviewed and just maybe if the idea is used that automated email would write the user congratulations your idea will be coming up in a future release, thanks for the feedback

Tivo loved doing this in the beta section, a non monetary to feel a sense of importance. Eventually they built a reward system to cash out out items with the company's logo from t-shirts to mugs. Somewhere in this apartment I have a tivo scarf. 
dave Leader
dave Aug 23 '20

that sounds nice, i like giving rewards for action and involvment.   But baby steps here lol  we need to get something out the door first and then begin to find ways to get more people involved... this is major undertaking but we will get there...

I know that patricia is having issues with the freedcamp and her language translation. So maybe someone can assist her there.   Its under the drop down next to the image in the console top right of site.   Then choose My Account....  i hope this works for her because its perfect for what we need...

dave Leader
dave Aug 23 '20

Ok folks if you need to talk about oxwall no developement and options then please continue posting here.   Anything having to do with the new project should be PM to me and not here as it woud become a conflict.

Thanks... :)

Elly Dzilah
Elly Dzilah Aug 24 '20

Hmmm. Dave, thank you so much for telling us the truth. The truth hurts but it sets you free. If it must be done, then it is better early than later. It's sad Oxwall did this to us but the core is absolutely theirs so they decide what to do with it, even if its nothing.

Dave, I really love your idea, courage and enthusiasm to give us an option even though there seem to be no hope left. But unfortunately, devs coming on board to contribute and commit to this project is at question as the response i read all are from willing individuals who are rather not devs. Since your software will make provisions for compatibility of existing oxwall plugins, I suggest more developers come and join hands to build this new software, and with a little bit of modification, the existing plugins will be usable on the new software. That is key. This is also about our loyalty to our customers who bought our plugins. We have to make this new software big, commit to its success and growth and make sure it does not die off no matter what.

I promise to help in any way I can to help in this new project Dave. I'm in. Count on me. I pray and hope other devs will join and lets make the new software BIG.

The way forward is getting the developers willing to support together and coming up with a roadmap. My humble suggestion. Dave, you're the man. :). Big ups.. Thanks so much.

dave Leader
dave Aug 24 '20
Thanks Elly, if you can PM me your email i will get you a invite to our discussion.
Ken
Ken Aug 24 '20
So how do you detach from the ship and still use the foundation to your advantage?? It’s not there are going to update or upgrade so skafa can do it why not use what we already have and build from there no need to reinvent the wheel I’m sure there is some advantages to developers on plugins with the core never being updated as long as it’s there then oxwall is alive get you a develop team and configure Wordpress with oxwall and you should be ok coding is univer
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »