We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

What do you think about Oxwall 1.6? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Dave S
Dave S Jan 9 '14
Quote from Chris
Quote from Dave S Chris, I didn't try this, but I guess you need to go to /admin/pages/manage > Edit "Mobile Version" > Uncheck "Guest/Registered Members" and then hide "Mobile Version". 

Hi,
Tried that, built in mobile still displays.
If you enter the site base URL http://nellbrydenfans.com the 1.6 built in mobile displays.
If you enter the URL of the original plugin http://nellbrydenfans.com/mobile the original app displays. The original plugin used to auto detect a mobile device accessing the base URL and redirect you, this no longer works.

What about adding a URL redirect?
Aodh
Aodh Jan 9 '14
I wont be upgrading yet.
I have an excellent responsive theme (made for me by eddieh a few months back) which works perfectly on PCs, laptops, smartphones and tabs.
Members can join, see pics, add to the newsfeed, add pics, forums, and do almost anything as normal.
Personally 1.6 is a disappointment to me and I'll be waiting for it to improve, which I'm sure it will do at some point.
Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Jan 9 '14
Does anyone have fresh copy of the 1.5.3 version? I need it standby before I update. If the 1.6 is not good, I will fall back to 1.5 version.
I need this before I update the core.
Thanks
Joseph
Joseph Jan 9 '14
you could zip up all your files before running the update and backup your database as well 
Joseph
Joseph Jan 9 '14
Quote from Aodh I wont be upgrading yet.
I have an excellent responsive theme (made for me by eddieh a few months back) which works perfectly on PCs, laptops, smartphones and tabs.
Members can join, see pics, add to the newsfeed, add pics, forums, and do almost anything as normal.
Personally 1.6 is a disappointment to me and I'll be waiting for it to improve, which I'm sure it will do at some point.

I would really like to see your site 
Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Jan 9 '14
This is my site. www.bookerzmedia.com, haven't done the update yet, though. I thought about downloading the entire site to my computer using ftp but I thought that would take a long time so if someone had that version, I will only have to overwrite the current version if something goes wrong.
Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Jan 9 '14
I also just noticed this in the 1.6 mobile interface's newsfeed. It doesn't show all members activities.( I am not sure if due to settings. I used my phone to visit someone's site.) The newsfeed on the samsung galaxy mega only shows the user's activities. Cannot show the activities of all members.
Can somebody verify this?
Joseph
Joseph Jan 9 '14
some phones don't even detect mobile you have to select mobile I did however find a good place to make a basic mobile app that takes users to mobile as long as their phone is supported its a starty for our site I guess we waited forever while all our users left our site for mobile friendly ones and now a year later oxwall delivers something resembling a mobile site I feel sometimes we made a bad choice choosing oxwall while other times its hard to say I guess I will see what happens in the end
Aodh
Aodh Jan 9 '14

Quote from Joseph

Quote from Joseph

Quote from Joseph

http://www.asiaout.us
Joseph
Joseph Jan 9 '14
pretty good I checked it on mobile but the question is "does everything function". I have had several complaints before about users not being able to do certain things through mobile phones on my site thsi of course being before 1.6
tammy harris
tammy harris Jan 10 '14
i have updated everything to 1.6 and now am revert back 2 1.53
1.6 is useless and you are way better off with a responsive theme for mobiles 
oxwall has done the bare minimum on this update
as i have said in other post i would rather oxwall charge me $300 or even $500 for a script that just works and has everything in it
but no basic oxwall you need to spend over $1000 to make it usefull and guess what
now you will have to spend even more to make mobile work
as you can see nothing works on mobile so developer will have to make mobile plugins and guess what you will have to buy them to make it work
i think maybe around $400 to $600 will get you a good mobile site
just wait and see the mobile plugins roll out at a price of cause  
tammy harris
tammy harris Jan 10 '14
how good is oxwall mobile go and visit the oxwall site on ya mobile ans even they dont use it 
Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Jan 10 '14
B.ut the oxwall site does not show the mobile version.
I have visited a site oun.org.ng, the mobile interface is very nice, only that it doesn't have the most vital functions.

I am now trying it on a subdomain before I allow it on my website.
But we are still waiting for people's reactions on the use.
Joseph
Joseph Jan 10 '14
Quote from Tammy how good is oxwall mobile go and visit the oxwall site on ya mobile ans even they dont use it 

I was going to say the same thing lol. Oxwall wont even use their own update
The Forum post is edited by Joseph Jan 10 '14
tammy harris
tammy harris Jan 10 '14
thanks jake you answered my concerns i know now not to even bother with 1.6
i will revert my site back to 1.53
Aodh
Aodh Jan 10 '14

Quote from Joseph pretty good I checked it on mobile but the question is "does everything function". I have had several complaints before about users not being able to do certain things through mobile phones on my site thsi of course being before 1.6

As far as l am aware everything works and l've had no reports of anything... I use it on my mobile daily

Pete
Pete Jan 10 '14
Oxwall did say that this mobile update well be limited ,I am sure it well get better soon .At least oxwall now have mobile so its a good start. Im just gratefull we now have mobile,its just the start of things to come .
The Forum post is edited by Pete Jan 10 '14
Joseph
Joseph Jan 11 '14
I discovered some things were changed and what I thought was a loss is actually ok now and yes I agree mobile is finally here I am grateful I can finally quit losing my users to my competitor lol
IB
IB Jan 11 '14

Quote from Joseph wickednation.net

Thanks Joseph.  To get the mobile version, just type /mobile-version at the end of the link.

The mobile version looks extremely limited.  I don't think it would satisfy any of my users the way it is at the moment.

IB
IB Jan 11 '14
Quote from Kieron (thestatusfeed.com) i agree with you all however oxwall have worked hard on it and the features in the mobile site at the minute and the layout of it is amazing i hope they bring some features out within the next few week 

If that's the case, then why not wait until you have a product that is 100% ready??  I don't know of any producer/manufacturer that brings out a product because "the layout is amazing".

Can you imagine a car producer...

"Yes check out our new car!  The layout is amazing huh?"

"What about the engine??? Where is it?"

"Sure, at this stage we just thought the wheels would be good enough.  And did I mention the layout?"

"Ok, looks, well the layout is great, when do you think the engine, steering wheel, hand brake, and seat belts will come out?"

"Oh should be soon.  We have another model coming out in a few weeks with the engine, so yeah, stay tuned."

Oxwall, please don't take this too personal, but I hope you can see the funny side of this.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »