We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Every plugin that has to upgrade database causes a error | Forum

JoshWho
JoshWho May 29 '16
There is a serious error with https enabled sites when you have to make a plugin database update it makes the site go into redirect loop. Second time this has happened. This time it was the Like me Plugin. 

"https://www.buddylist.co/..._uri=admin%2Fplugins"

The Forum post is edited by JoshWho May 29 '16
dave Leader
dave May 29 '16
Hi Josh,  ross should be in later and can address this as i dont know about this one at all. 
JoshWho
JoshWho May 29 '16
My solution for now is just uninstall the old plugin and install the new one and it works no problem.
JoshWho
JoshWho May 30 '16
Ok I am getting pissed off now. I just had this fixed and now there is another f&^*kin update for video chat and now my site is all messed up again. Can some one please figure out what is going on with this.
JoshWho
JoshWho May 30 '16
Why can't there be a roll back option I do not want to perform a f*^kin database update. If the plugin requires thaT IT SHOULD SAY IT IN THE UPDATE SO I KNOW TO JUST UNINSTALL IT

JoshWho
JoshWho May 30 '16
HOW CAN I MAKE MY SITE GROW IF IT IS DOWN EVERY OTHER DAY BECAUSE OF SOME STUPID UNCOORDINATED UPDATE THAT DOESN'T EVOLVE AROUND 3RD PARTY PLUGINS. EVERYONE SHOULD BE ON THE SAME PAGE OR NOT DEVELOP ANY MORE.

i AM ABOUT TO JUST NOT UPDATE ANYTHING ANY MORE. EVERY TIME I GET THE SITE FINE AND WORKING SOME NEW BS UPDATE POPS UP AND THEN NEXT THING YOU KNOW I HAVE TO SPEND HOURS TRYING TO FIGURED IT OUT.

dave Leader
dave May 30 '16
try changing the build number to the current build number for that plugin in the plugins table. This should keep the system from triggering an update for that plugin until a higher build comes out.  

sometimes the db update is just to update the build number in the plugins table and nothing more. 

Hope that helps. 

The Forum post is edited by dave May 30 '16
JoshWho
JoshWho May 30 '16

THIS IS WHAT IT LEAVES ME WITH. iT IS LIKE IT IS NOT LOADING THE UPDATE TOOL THROUGH HTTPS OR SOMTHING.

dave Leader
dave May 30 '16

Quote from JoshWho HOW CAN I MAKE MY SITE GROW IF IT IS DOWN EVERY OTHER DAY BECAUSE OF SOME STUPID UNCOORDINATED UPDATE THAT DOESN'T EVOLVE AROUND 3RD PARTY PLUGINS. EVERYONE SHOULD BE ON THE SAME PAGE OR NOT DEVELOP ANY MORE.

i AM ABOUT TO JUST NOT UPDATE ANYTHING ANY MORE. EVERY TIME I GET THE SITE FINE AND WORKING SOME NEW BS UPDATE POPS UP AND THEN NEXT THING YOU KNOW I HAVE TO SPEND HOURS TRYING TO FIGURED IT OUT.

I know your upset and i apologize for your troubles.  The only way to get totally around what your experiencing is to not use any plugins at all as the core runs fine.  Or learn to do your own plugins so you don't have to rely on others, we always need new developers and i will help you learn if you want to learn.  

Also you have to decide if that plugin is worth the trouble, if not then just get rid of it and focus on another feature to grow your site. 

JoshWho
JoshWho May 30 '16
If i pay for a plugin then it should work flawlessly with the core. 
JoshWho
JoshWho May 30 '16

Final result for the third time  

dave Leader
dave May 30 '16
OK let ross see this tonight, he surely will be able to shed some light on this for you.  You may have a server issue or it may be a issue with the https i dont know.  I know i have never had the kind of issues your having as long as i have used oxwall. So lets see what he says and get this sorted for you if we can.. ;)
JoshWho
JoshWho May 30 '16
I 100% guarantee it is a issue with what ever they changed to how ssl works.
JoshWho
JoshWho May 30 '16
Ross ignored all my messages from the last 2 times
JoshWho
JoshWho May 30 '16
How can I remove this manually and easily from my site?  Last 2 plugins I had to gut my database until it finally solved it and I don't want to do that again
JoshWho
JoshWho May 30 '16
it took me 4 hours the last time
dave Leader
dave May 30 '16

Quote from JoshWho If i pay for a plugin then it should work flawlessly with the core. 

Yes i agree with you but this is not a perfect world and there are some devs that come here, make a fast buck, and leave. They sometimes try to sneak stuff past the approval process and sometimes they do, it is not a perfect system, nothing is.   

For those devs that update their stuff and it does not update properly then contacting the dev is the first step, if they refuse to help you or you do not hear from them in a timely manner then you can report them to the moderation team.  That is the process and its all we have right now. There are changes being developed but it will take time and resources to implement them.  So for now we have to deal with things as they are. 

JoshWho
JoshWho May 30 '16
So i am going to have to contact 30 different devs now because of a core change?
dave Leader
dave May 30 '16
I will make sure he sees this tonight ok and at least he will reply, give me that much please so we can try to help you :) 

you can remove the plugin this way.. 

first make sure there are no special deactivate or uninstall instructions in those files in the root.  

If those two files are empty then all you have to do is delete the item in the plugins table and delete the files in  the plugins dir. If there is a plugin folder in the static plugin section then remove that as well.  I believe that is it. 

If there are special instructions then you will have to manually do what it says to do in those files,

dave Leader
dave May 30 '16
Thats why i said to wait till tonight and lets see if it is a dev issue, server issue, or ox issue, or https issue.  

I am sending ross a message now to look at this as soon as he can ok. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »