We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Well I am done spending money | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
dave Leader
dave Nov 13 '16
Everyone will download a free plugin because its free, and thats the only reason they download free plugins.  Some are nice some are not, but everyone likes to get free stuff regardless if they ever use it or not.  So you cant compare what you see on the free downloads to actual purchases. Im telling you honestly its very low. 

But that is because of what has happened in the past.  That will improve over time.  I have plugins that have 3 purchases in 3 years, then i have other ones that are better than that, but none of them are numbers like you are talking, way way below that.   

People that love what they do will still come here to developer, if for anything else to add to their portfolio of other software they code for.  The only way to make money doing plugins is to divy up your projects between different softwares and not just 2 or 3 but maybe 7 to 10 other ones, then you might be able to pay the rent every month. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 13 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 13 '16
I always wanted bee a developer maybe i will change and create plugins ...i think i would like it very much i have so much ideas always. 

But now i need finish my business i started before i jump on study php and smarty, i have no time for that when run a business. can i programming c++ and java before in old days and now yaskawa robot programmer, then i think i could create plugins if i study some months or years i know you will never finish learn about programming but it is interesting

and it sounds like you can live on it with good salery if you create popular plugins here and on other software

i forget say a importen thing here:

WE buyers need success with our business for have good salery and maybe lucky bee rich if we success then the developers will bee rich to if they lucky because we will hire them for many projects and we will buy more software and more plugins all comes hand in hand and that why SEO is so importen for the future and mobile version we can not forget about this 2 things it will bee the dead of this software if we do 

like it or not like it dave but this is 100% true

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Nov 13 '16
dave Leader
dave Nov 13 '16
But you have to realize that the pickings are thin in this industry.  For example, wordpress plugins - free, Elgg plugins - free (most are outdated and have not been updated for over 3 years) which would make a great market for a developer but they are free so there is much less benefit to some.  

Most of the other open source tend to be free as well.  The only way to make it work to make alittle bit of money is to write for some of the other kind of software that is not social software but other types like prestashop or one of the other ecommerce software's.   

Or work on wordpress or elgg and then maybe that will lead to paid jobs.   Things here at oxwall right now are not as bad as they were first of last year, and they will get better.  It takes time to weed out the garbage and turn things around. 

And then on top of all that, you bid a job for low ball just to get the work. And someone from another country sias they will do the job for 10 cents on the dollar of your bid.  I cant compete with that. Its better if i let the job go then do it for almost nothing. 

My enjoyment comes from helping people, being respected, creating things, and knowing that i helped someone. And i get alittle morsal once in a while to put in the bank.  

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 13 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 13 '16
yes free is never good, i not like free things it like SD picture he posted, you get no good quality and slow support.

but i see this new developers started good and created very nice plugins that now need just solve some smaller problems but they was stop totally i feel? why not finish something you started before move on to another project?

Anyways if they not stop and fix they new plugins this store could bee very good and the software too

If i pay i want to see good support and fast, if i not pay i can not complain about any slow support it was free and did cost me 0 usd

or we need have a option if you pay more you will get faster support....

it is like this sometimes not always:

the plugin took 5-10 days to create, but 1 issue to solve did take 3 - 6 month to fix?

why is it like this???

is it beacause

1. they need more money for fix issues faster?

2. they are to busy work always with new project and not finish they old project

3. they work on many other websites and software on internet so they no time fix issues on they old plugins.

It would bee much better if they told us so we can try make things better here at oxwall 

and now we are back to steves topic again and i will go spend time with my family *gone*

Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Nov 13 '16

+1 Dave, 100% agree.

Free stuff is downloaded a lot for the same people, if I download something 10 times, the downloads counter adds the 10 downloads, I have downloaded the same free stuff a lot of times because I erase them after I use it.

The sales are too low and too slow to really make a real profit in here, this is more like a hobby, that's why I always say that if you as a customer want a good and fast work, you need to hire a professional developer to make it for you.

Marcus, I didn't move onto another project, the other project was already done and I uploaded it after the first, that's all.

Paying 20 USD for a plugin with lifetime support and lifetime updates is bad for business, monthly sales don't worth all the time spent doing it all for just a few sales. 

That's the main reason why nobody answers and gives support, but as Dave said, we keep going because that's what we love to do.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 13 '16
Okey so then we need solve this:

>>> Paying 20 USD for a plugin with lifetime support and lifetime updates is bad for business, monthly sales don't worth all the time spent doing it all for just a few sales. 

That's the main reason why nobody answers and gives support <<<<

i cannot thinking right now but is there any great ideas to solve this or will we have only slow support here and sometimes no support forever at oxwall?

suggestions please ....i need rest my brain for today and come back tomorrow for ideas

Senior Developer Leader
The fast track right now is: 

>>>> If you as a customer want a good and fast work, you need to hire a professional developer to make it for you. <<<<

Actually you can't pay for professional support here because that's not how this store works. Other stores do it and they get better faster products support because they pay for it.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 13 '16

I want to pay for proffessional support i want this store work like others ...can it work on this store?

pay extra for faster support or would it not bee possible?

Senior Developer Leader
We need to ask to Oxwall Team what they think about it, if this can be implemented in this store. If they say no, I have been working on something since a long time ago that may help, but first let's see what they think, It's better to keep it all in just one place.

If you or Dave can ask to Ross to read this and tell us if they can do it, that would be great.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 14 '16
I have a idea 

What about bid money for implement plugin suggestions? and when the bid is up in what the developer wants for implement that feature from many buyers then he will implement the extra features :-)

then you not need pay alone for the suggestion and share with others and the developer gets money for the work :-)

prepaid so you can see how much more money there is left before he will start creates the suggestion.

donation or bid system 

now many plugin suggestions will never happen or will wait very long time up to 2 years i have seen

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Nov 14 '16
dave Leader
dave Nov 14 '16
All great ideas!  However regardless of what we suggest we need to overcome a few things as i have stated before. 

1. Oxwall wanted practical ideas, folks "practicle" mean less expensive and affordable.  Oxwall is not going to put their developers to work building some elaborate tools as part of the store. I wish it was different but i dont believe that will happen.  

2. Oxwall does not want to get in between the developer and the customer and that is probably not going to change. 

3. The only way to get Oxwall to build something fancy or needed is to find a way to pay for it up front. Either by developer contributions to an annual fee or by some other means where the consumer pays some of the cost and the developer pays the other half.  I think i can be pretty confident in saying that im 100% sure they are not going to do anything with the store that costs money out of pocket.  It has to be a shared expense. 

So if we can find a good plan that: 

>helps customers feel secure

>adds some kind of premium support option

>adds some kind of plugin support fee option maybe after 2 years ??

>provides developers with the tools they need to help customers

>provides for a better way to guage developer performance

>provides a way to pay for the manpower to build and run the program

Then i think we have something.  Other than that we can only expect minor improvements which are efficient to make from Oxwalls small team. 

dave Leader
dave Nov 14 '16
Steve i followed up with ross, i will send you what i sent him in pm.. 
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 14 '16
Another idea that i think much better

why not post not finished projects,plugins,plugin suggestions instead?

buyers need donate for like for example 5 usd each and when have like 0 - 50 people donate the developer start create it? 

it need no work for oxwall team to change anything and they who donate get the plugin license free or project license free but they who never donate need buy it for example 25 usd when it is finished

so they who donate saved 20 usd and the developer did get money for the work and even in future because he can sell it to they who not did donate in the start.

5 usd is not much money and you can buy many totally new plugins for just 5 usd and money comes in fast and the developers can start create new projects and plugin suggestions

money hopefully comes in fast, because you rather spend 5 usd then 25 usd 

the developer start with 5 usd donation after that he decide how much he want sell the finished plugin for in the store. the license already grants when you buy from the store on auto so not much need change.

and for suggestions for plugin he need just give the plugin another name like the new version have name eventx and the old version have name event

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Nov 14 '16
dave Leader
dave Nov 15 '16
jk is no longer part of the Oxwall team.  
dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
I guess its because there has not really been a policy to cover that, which is one of our suggestions to them that we all came up with.  But not to worry his prices are rediculous and noone will ever pay that much for his simple plugins. 

One of the things that we suggested is some kind of check to see if the developer is still around. Like an annual fee that devs pay to be a part of the store. Once that subscription runs out then that store is closed. So we will see what oxwall says about that and other ideas. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 16 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
+1 Franz
dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
Franz, yes and no, true and not true.  You take the same risk with anything you buy regardless if it is a car battery, shop tool, computer, or software.  Some items have warranties and replacement guarantees and some items dont.  Non tangible items (items you cant actually touch) such as software, are typically sold or downloaded "as is" without warranty and without replacement guarantees.

Have a look at the Common Public Attribution License which is part of the Oxwall release. 

Quote "Exhibit B. Software distributed under the License is distributed on an “AS IS” basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied." Endquote 

This is how open source software (including plugins) is delivered, this is standard in the industry and consumers have accepted this for many years, its just the way it is.  Now with that said, its not always the case. There are some big software companies that charge big money for their software that do offer such replacement and warranty. However this is not the case with any open source software.  Which includes but not limited to wordpress, oxwall, elgg, prestashop, phpbb, and many many others. Many of them are listed and offered also under Softaculous and Fantastico and others. 

People accept the risk because they can download the software for free and use it, this is the offset you get when you use open source anything.  So what your asking for is that you want a paid benefit with a free product, its not going to happen. If you want some kind of guarentee or warranty then you will need to pay money for the community software that you use or have a developer code the whole project for you which again is big money. 

Also if you buy ANY software, or plugin that i am aware of, that purchase ONLY gives you the right to USE that software, you do not own it. The fee you pay allows you to ONLY USE IT.   It does not belong to you, basically you are renting it for lack of a better term.  You cannot resell it as yours, you cannot have someone else modify it and sell it as theirs or as yours, you cannot even package it up as a product for free and give it away as yours,  it belongs to the developer.  An unless you get express written permission from that developer to do anything with that plugin or script other than just use it then you can be sued, regardless if it works or not. 

I have read cases like this where the judge decided it was two different things (bad service does not equal transfer of ownership).  Someone decided since it did not work they would spend money to fix it and then call it theirs.  The judge in these cases said no, it was not theirs, it still belongs to the developer and the developer gave bad service, that does not mean that anyone gets to take possession of the software without the developers consent even if the developer offers no service at all. 

Think about this, if someone does do this and passes it out to people for a fee, that person is not just responsible for their copy, they are responsible for every person around the world that has a copy of what they did or what they offered for a fee. So technically (worst case) it is possible that someone could be sued by a developer for hundreds of thousands of violations.  

And even if the developer puts no license text at all in their script, there is a thing called common law copyright (see video below), which means that the developer owns that script by virtue of creating the original work and they do not have to file any papers for copyright. 

I hope this also can clear this up for you.. read here

http://asp-software.org/www/misv_resources/business-articles/who-owns-the-code/

also here is a video on common law copyright.

i hope this has helped you all understand the importance of not just taking anything you find and calling it yours, you cant do that. 

Dave

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
how difficult is it to change code to avoid copyrights in a "normal" big plugin?

do not bee shy now dave speak out how difficult or easy it is?

i see new plugins in the store that have same features as the old plugin did have. and probably we will see more ....

thanks

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
I wont contribute to such thoughts as those kinds of thoughts lead to illegal behavior.  Furthermore if that is the first place your mind goes after what i just posted, ill know never to buy anything from you as it is more than likely not yours to begin with. 
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
it is not illegal create a plugin with same features that a old plugin have. only in you head dave it is illegal.

some plugins can someone create much better nothing illegal with that.

and i guess the answer on that is for a experied programmer it would bee not so hard to do that?

but i can bee wrong?

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »