We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Well I am done spending money | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16

Quote from Franz So I have to be afraid, that no matter from whom I buy a Plugin or a Theme, I no longer can use these Scripts or Themes anymore as soon as the developer was removed from OW. Right? 

If I buy software, I have the right to use the software at any time, without suddenly to be forced,  to reactivate the License Key again. If I buy software in any other store, the License Key to the product is enclosed and I must register the product only one time on-line. Nowhere else, I will be forced to activate constantly the key again and again.

Franz ok lets take this one item at at time.. 

1. So I have to be afraid, that no matter from whom I buy a Plugin or a Theme, I no longer can use these Scripts or Themes anymore as soon as the developer was removed from OW. Right? 

Yes you can still USE the product but you cannot change, adapt, modify, or sell the product without the license itself giving you permission or the developer giving you permission.   You can USE the product all you want. 

2. If I buy software, I have the right to use the software at any time, without suddenly to be forced,  to reactivate the License Key again.

Yes if it is the same product by the same developer then you should not have to need another key, unless somehow the original key becomes invalid for reasons beyond anyones control such as a computer glitch of some kind.  But yes you should be able to use that product by that developer forever without needing a new key.  

This does not mean that if the product becomes unusable that you do not have to buy a different product from a different developer to keep the same feature on your site.  The fact that one plugin stops working and is no longer supported does not entitle you to a key license for a similar product from a different developer. 

3.  If I buy software in any other store, the License Key to the product is enclosed and I must register the product only one time on-line. Nowhere else, I will be forced to activate constantly the key again and again.

Every software is different and is sold or downloaded under different license types and under different terms.  I have had both types of licenses, the kinds where i must rekey the software annually, the kind that i only have to do the key one time, the kind that i have to pay every month, and the kind that i only pay one time.  

So when you say you never have to do this in any other store, well then that just means that you have not purchased enough different kinds of software to know that all kinds of agreements exist. 

Is that a better reply, franz?

Also you dont have to be afraid of anything, just understand the law, understand the license, and understand that it is not a perfect world or a perfect store, and accept that some developers are just loosers out for a quick buck.  But that is not all of us, some of us (the majority in the business) are very dependable and very honest and very dedicated. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 16 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
so what you say dave is we are not allowed change or add code to any plugins we buy here at oxwall? even that the developer have deleted his store and profile and left us with plugins that have many issues too bee solved and nor working good at all anymore

this could not bee true? 

i have already fix many issues with this india guys plugins so i have done something illegal?

if i have done something illegal you can report me to the police now , it can not bee like this. 

It is not very friendly rules to have it like this and who want buy plugins in this store, if there is such strict rules and terms.

i think oxwall team need stop developers like dave implement they own terms and have same terms for all developers to make us buyers feel much safer and get value for our money and not put our money in the sea after 2 years you need start from 0 again and you not allowed touch that plugin and add some code

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
NO, what i said was this 

Yes you can still USE the product but you cannot change, adapt, modify, or sell the product without the license itself giving you permission or the developer giving you permission.   You can USE the product all you want. 

so read the license, read the law and do what you want, its your freedom not mine at stake here.  I am not an attorney and i do not offer any legal advice.  If you want to know if something is illegal, do the research like the rest of us have. 

Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Nov 16 '16
When you buy a plugin, you buy it working, if stops working because you updated the core and somehow the plugin stopped working, still you can go back to the previous version and your plugin still being fully functional.

The store says which versions of the core is compatible with that plugin. Even if the developer dies he owns the copyright (or his family) or he is deleted from the store, you  still have the same license, nothing changes.

dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
+1 SD,  when i die i will probably give my plugins to either SD or to Oxwall.  But lets not push that event here shall we... i plan to be around a long time. 

I had planned to give all my work that i have ever done to my sons, but none of them are into programming at the moment.  So we will see what happens. 

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
I can not USE a product that not working

I want to fix the product and add some small code and i pay a developer doing that is that illegal to do so?

If it is like that 

I stop buy plugins here and create my own plugins only. it will bee much cheaper then you suddenly have you website down for 1 year because many features that you did have was stopped suddenly because the developer decide to leave or create a new profile or store here at oxwall.

im not stupid and some milking machine for this developers if they think so

dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
Franz that is a different scenerio.  Should you be able to get a valid key, yes if jk was a man of his word he would grant you a new key.  But that does not seem to be the case so honestly you are stuck and there is not much you can do but hope for his good grace.  Without that then you might as well just delete all those plugins so that you are not tempted to do something that violates the law. 
dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
If that is what you feel you have to do then do it marcus.
Senior Developer Leader
Read the License and the TOS of each plugin that you are trying to modify. That is and has ever been the answer to all your copyright concerns Marcus.

A few bucks once in awhile for your previous work it's a beautiful gift to your sons Dave. The family is the answer, always.

dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
Agreed SD totally ;0)
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
some developers here did clearly steel my ideas and i will not share more ideas here i see now what will happen to my website ....

it is not okey fix issues on plugins that developer runs away with my money and others

what a joke....

Senior Developer Leader
Did you read the TOS and License of the plugins already Marcus?
dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
It is not fair i agree, but the world is not perfect either or the people in it.  Someone once said that "you have to have evil to have good". That is for everyone to decide for themselves how they feel about things. 

By the way also read this.. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
i feel this is a shame for the entire store....scammers i call all they who left they plugins and they will not bee the last doing the same

this store is only for protecting the developer nothing else....enough buy plugins here. 

I will not buy another website from skadate i have other plans that is much more safe then this milking the money game

thank you for tell me it is illegal add code in a not working plugin even that the developer have left or not answer people. shame on this store , it is only for developers make money not for buyers success

Senior Developer Leader
I encourage you to read the TOS of the plugins that you are trying to modify, maybe the developer does allow you to fix it and you are here mad at everybody. People come and people go, the software becomes obsolete unless you pay a lot for it and it becomes a top sales product or they release a new version which you have to pay for it again.

At the end either you get a lot of cheap plugins, or hire a developer and get just a few for a lot of money which eventually you will have to hire another developer to fix them because it will be obsolete too.

dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
maybe Franz, if you want to go through all of that paperwork and have them snoop around your house and into your finances for a $20 plugin then go for it... 

We all have to do what we have to do, i dont condone the actions of others in the store that take advange of people. But then again all i can do is make sure my own pasture is clean and taken care of, and in the process try to affect others to do the same.  All the while making the attempt to change things for the better.  

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16

it is not about 20 usd dollar dave. it is about many USD . if you have a oxwall or skadate website you not buy 1 plugin. you will buy many plugins

i must thank you all for me wake up ..really wake up

i prefer build up a safe business and this is not safe .....clearly only safe and good for developers that want earn quick money

dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
Well Franz - if your going to paint everyone with the wide brush then that does not make you any better than the people doing the same thing to you now does it?  They also paint everyone with a wide brush called victums.  You need to strive to be better than that franz and dont lump everyone together here, rise above that and be a better person.  

As for you marcus, if you feel you have to go somewhere else then go, its ok we will survive without you. 

Senior Developer Leader
Franz

Let me get this clear.
So are you going to fill a complain on the ic3.gov because you deleted your profile and it was your fault that your keys doesn't work anymore? 
Did you have proven already that you are the same user. Did you try to contact Ross asking for help regarding that topic?
Did you try to reach each developer individually and tell them who you are tell them your previous key and ask them to exchange for a new key?

dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
well said SD +1

Why is Oxwall fraud, because they give you a great script to use for a social site FOR FREE. Or is it that me and other volunteers offer you support and help FOR FREE, spending our own time on here to try to help others.  I still dont see the fraud part of this.  If it was not for volunteers (all of them) you would wait days or even weeks to get any reply at all.  

Im not here to preach to you but i am here to tell you that i think this conversation, at least my part of it has come to a conclusion.  I have better things to do then go round and round with you two over and over again, never ending... 

Im out..

Dave 

PS...  Oh i almost forgot... marcus if your so nieve that you would give $500 up front to a developer that you knew nothing about, had never met, offered no form of contract, offered no form of escrow company to protect you, then you know what, im sorry to say this, but lesson learned and it cost you a bunch to learn it.  Always protect yourself half now half when the job is complete or other ways to protect yourself.  The way you did that transaction was for lack of a better word just plane stupid on your part.  You never should have given them all that money up front.  Sorry you had to learn a hard lesson but i hope you learned it well. 

A quote from the man i admire greatly - John Wayne -- "life is hard - its harder if your stupid"  If you dont understand that, it just means if you choose not to educate yourself to make informed decisions then youll pay a bigger price in life. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »