We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Well I am done spending money | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
It is a violation to use someone elses code and call it yours.  If you want to start from scratch and create something yourself then do so, but dont use someone elses work as yours. 
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Nov 16 '16
¿How difficult is to steal someone else's money Marcus?

I can make my own plugin writing all the code by myself and sell it. I own the rights of it.

I can't copy any plugin's code fix it and resell it.

There is a big difference.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
no not copy code....i was talk about change the code only

i have plugins that i buy here and i add code to that plugin, i spend almost 500 usd on that plugin and the developer is stopped support the plugin and stop answer people

so i have no rights add code or change code to plugins i buy here at this shop, is this what tell me.

i not want sell any plugins,because this shop need bee much better before i do that 

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
Senior Developer Leader
You cannot change the code and resell it as yours

>>unless you get express written permission from that developer to do anything with that plugin or script other than just use it then you can be sued, regardless if it works or not. <<

dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
Understand marcus it is not just the code itself, it is the placement of the code, the format of the code, the structure of the code.  All of that and the code itself goes into the creativity of the product.  

Thats like saying ill make a copy of this expensive painting and just change the colors, its still stealing because the lay out of the painting is also protected, just like the layout of code on the page is protected. 

Senior Developer Leader
Only if you bought a license of the code and that license grant you privileges to edit/customize the code then it is ok.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
okey now when SD is here

then we can talk about the smiley plugin

i feel his smiley plugins have same features as the old smiley plugin, not much different because now skalfa update the old smiley plugin

and i notice a gif plugin that is free that almost have same style as this 2 smiley plugins

is not that like take a painting and redraw it like dave say here

how can 2 plugins that almost have same features bee so much different and if sd can do it why no other can do same? and how hard is it?

there is 2 hmtl widget plugins that have almost same features to and i can probably find more in this store

so how hard is it steel someones idea or plugin and remake the code so it look slike you build it. i think its need almost same logic for working but maybe not same code i guess

i will post some plugins here later that almost have exactly same features

Senior Developer Leader
There is a lot different kind of vehicles in the world, a lot of them have almost the "same" features (4 doors, 4 wheels, etc). Still they can do it without infringing the copyright.

You need to read a lot of that so you can understand why and how to make a similar products with similar features inside the law.

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Nov 16 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
yes i agree SD the basic in this vehicles many have taken and are allowed to copy

so then you are allowed take the basic and just modify the rest , the copyrights can bee complicated i aware of that.

it is same with pictures on internet can bee complicated ,where goes the limit?

you can steel a nice art picture and remake it so the picture look totally different is that illegal?

it is same with the code you can steel the code and totally remake it?

unethic or illegal i just want to know what is possible in this discussion, im not going copy someones code an sell it would bee stupid . totally aware of copyrights

dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
The reason that cars as well as plugins at Oxwall look the same in some ways is because they share a common required structure.  For example a car must have certain things in order to pass inspection and its the same with plugins.  

Those requirements make some plugins appear as others to some extent because of the required structure from Oxwall moderation. However there are enough differences in the plugins that they are considered unique and their own style.  

I have my own style of coding and i can see my code from a mile away and others that know me well know what my style looks like, just as SD has his style of coding. This can be the way we do certain things, the way we format certain code structure, the habbits we have, it all goes as part of our creation, and we own that.  Every programmer has their own style.

dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
Also marcus there is a thing called "derived from" and it covers such a thing.  If you copy something and it is challenged they will decide if it has been derived from the original. If so then it is a violation of copyright.  So changing some code names and stuff like that wont work and there is a reason such things are protected. So stop trying to read between the lines and get something thats not yours to get.  Make your own from scratch and stop trying to weasel from everyone else. 
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
When i create a robot program sometimes i need take some code that is "basic" for make the program working. it must bee same with plugin development. 

and then i can sometimes inlclude a code in the end of the program or at the start. must bee same with plugins you can change the structure but use same logic and you use basic codes in you program. and you can add you own unique text fields ,comments and other things

i think i stop here becaus i do not know so much about php and smarty and to create plugins it is not my area only a experiensed plugin developer could tell me how easy or hard it would bee remake someones plugin and avoid copyrights

dave Leader
dave Nov 16 '16
There are ways of applying that code you talk about which make it unique to the developer.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
a question:

can i use copyrighted pictures as background on my pc?

Senior Developer Leader
The safe way is:

1.- Make your own code

2.- Don't copy code

3.- Don't edit/customize someone else's code

4,. If your idea is similar or have the same features than another, you have to look everywhere to see if you are going to infringe a patent.

There is always some basic structure that cannot be copyrighted.

The answer to you question, it depends on the country and the terms and conditions under which was released and how did you obtained the image, each country has different laws and there is a lot of license types.

You need to read the law, a lot.

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Nov 16 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
yes i did read each country have differents laws , i think i would bee safe in kirgizistan :P
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16
wait a little bit:

why some plugins have code from different developers?

some plugins have code from 3 or 4 developers i notice.

and some code are taken from github i notice to.

is that illegal, i need investigate more in this.

i guess not illegal if all this developesr agree and aloow have they code on this plugin same with the code from github

Senior Developer Leader
Almost all the work taken or derived from any Github repository is released under the MIT license, again read the license and you got your answer.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16

okey i will read the license. i think that respository is very useful 

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 16 '16

Quote from Franz Dave ..... I'm not talking about the property rights and warranty. You misunderstood me. 

I quote text above... "....The fee you pay allows you to ONLY USE IT...."

Read my post before again and read it right ;)

yes you right maybe he was misunderstood....
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »