We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Is it Oxwall game over? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
David
David Jul 20 '18

"Brash and negative communities are typically found circling free things..." Jake says.

If you call spending close to a thousand dollars in their store that Oxwall created... "free things"... then I think perhaps you haven't grasped the reality behind this.  This is an investment in the software... we put our eggs in that basket.... we put our money into the devs that MAKE Oxwall useful.  I think we have the right to complain when things go bad.  I think we have the right to complain when the developers of Oxwall let the forums go to spam in a handbasket... I think we have a right to complain when they bug out for an entire year and act irresponsibly.   You call it "complaining".  I call it "protecting a brand that we invested in". 

dave Leader
dave Jul 20 '18
We are currently working on removing the spam, oxwall germany has been give moderation priv's on the forum and they are running their batch every day, so report report report spam if you see it. 

Remember dont report the profile as spam just the spam post.  They will deal with the profile when they remove spam. 

PS good to see ya David nice to still have you around.

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 20 '18
Morena Milani
Morena Milani Jul 20 '18
Quote from dave We are currently working on removing the spam, oxwall germany has been give moderation priv's on the forum and they are running their batch every day, so report report report spam if you see it. 

Remember dont report the profile as spam just the spam post.  They will deal with the profile when they remove spam. 

PS good to see ya David nice to still have you around.

Dave , I have reported spam from the messages I see around the forum and non-related ads 
dave Leader
dave Jul 20 '18
Awesome Morena, TY.... me too :)
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jul 20 '18
+1 David ....could not say it better my self....totally mind reader...

<<<<<<<daveJul 18

Jake - i agree!  People should really be willing to contribute rather than just complain all the time.  Its possible if users invested a bit more in Oxwall,  then Oxwall might invest more in them.   But this is nothing new with open source, there are those that just want everything on a silver platter and free, and it happens with all open source projects.   <<<<<<

- i think David have give you ta good answer on that,,,hope you understand better now dave....try turn negative comments to something good....we try just make the platform much better and protect our brand and like David said it is not free to invest in a oxwall platform in any way so stop say we want free only....I have probably spend much more on Skalfa team then you ever do in you life and will do when it comes to money....so not talk we want anything free only and on a silver plate...redicolus to say that to the great oxwall sponsors them self that keep this software alive

>>>>>Practical suggestions and facts get much more attention than random wild complaints with little understanding. <<<<<<

- Who decide what is "wild complaints" ??? you ??? Do we need some rule that stop this, what is you suggestion and solution??? I see you only complaint a lot but no solutions that can do the forum same as you want it bee

- Were you find "complaints with little understanding"??? Do we need bee php developer for see when a plugin not working and solve the problem for you before we complaint??? or what do you mean with that ??? We are not very smart that complaints??? Only when dave complaint there is a lot of understanding behind???

(I did get some power and motivation back to talk after see i not alone thinking almost the same as i do, thanks david you comment was needed )

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jul 20 '18
JB TECH
JB TECH Aug 22 '18

Quote from David

"Brash and negative communities are typically found circling free things..." Jake says.

If you call spending close to a thousand dollars in their store that Oxwall created... "free things"... then I think perhaps you haven't grasped the reality behind this.  This is an investment in the software... we put our eggs in that basket.... we put our money into the devs that MAKE Oxwall useful.  I think we have the right to complain when things go bad.  I think we have the right to complain when the developers of Oxwall let the forums go to spam in a handbasket... I think we have a right to complain when they bug out for an entire year and act irresponsibly.   You call it "complaining".  I call it "protecting a brand that we invested in". 

I think you missed the context of my statement. I said brash and negative communities circle around FREE things - the FREE thing being Oxwall. A lot of users (this doesn't mean take this as yourself, but others) come here for the word "free" and in a sense expect all else to be free, including consistent development, free contribution, etc. If you purchase something that promises something but doesn't deliver that, than yes you have the right to "protect the brand you invested in." But if you, as far as I see it, haven't contributed anything into this community based platform (that includes not supporting a developer or buying plugins/themes) and only use the community to push a negative narrative in hopes of getting what you want, you don't get the obligation to complain.

I'm considering the sense of community, not just people who use the free stuff vs. people who pay for multiple plugins/themes. It'd be taking it at face value if we only saw ourselves as those categories. There are also developers, mods, leaders, contributors, etc. A community-based software (not meaning you make your own community, but rather the community makes the software) should aim for a consistent, well-structured and positive group of folks rather than people looking to scam others, people who aren't well versed in tech (and thus get scammed) or just negative people in general. There's a very unfriendly-nature to a lot of our Oxwall Community, and I (and I'm sure many others) would like to see that changed.

dave Leader
dave Aug 22 '18
I dont believe that the horse is dead just yet. I think we just needed some new riders with a different kind of whip.   :)

As per the unfriendly-nature, that sadly is the case with most communities.  Most keep it at a minumum in their own ways.  The main issue is that even though we do have some moderation and i am thankfull for that, it is limited. 

Once we get some full time moderation going, things will get better and rules will be more adhered to the community more regulated.   We are still in baby step mode folks.  

AppXprt
AppXprt Aug 22 '18
When I blow the store up with new plugins maybe you'll change your mind ;-)

I vote on OxNext: OxWall Community Edition

It doesn't take much to add new features and options to OxWall. PWA came out in 2016 and look it only took a nudge, a mentor and a few days of patience to have a working plugin.

The Forum post is edited by AppXprt Aug 22 '18
Sven
Sven Aug 23 '18
It's open source, so why doesn't a great wizzkid take it over? This is by far the best community software, if it would be followed up and some bugs solved.
dave Leader
dave Aug 23 '18
One day maybe they will :)   but if that happens its something can cannot be published until the initial release is done.  Whoever might do this sort of thing does not need the constant bombardment of wishes and features clouding their mind.   

There are plenty of topics posted about ideas and needs. So i assume they would go off of that for the initial release and then once the bugs are out of that, then move on down the developement roadmap.  

Lets all just keep our fingers crossed. 

David
David Aug 26 '18

Quote from ViXiV Technologies When I blow the store up with new plugins maybe you'll change your mind ;-)

It doesn't take much to add new features and options to OxWall. PWA came out in 2016 and look it only took a nudge, a mentor and a few days of patience to have a working plugin.

Yeah, but when you charge $100 bucks for a plugin.... for an open source software project that has been abandoned and not updated in two years... you can't seriously expect this will change the opinions of people still clinging to hope that Oxwall isn't dead.  $100 bucks is just greedy.
Morena Milani
Morena Milani Sep 9 '18
Quote from Chris_W

Considering the fact that there is a potential $299/mo and a minimum $30/mo difference to the price of Oxwall, I don't see the attraction. There are lots of platforms out there at those kind of prices.

Quote from Sean Fitzgerald
We are here to help fill a void left by Oxwall. Publish & Cultivate an online community in seconds Free 14-Day Trial 24/7 Customer Service, Music Tracks, Videos, Photos, Member Management, Post Status-Live, Activity Feed, Events, Forum, Chat, Blogs, Fan Pages, Create private/public groups, SEO, Customize Mobile App, Analytics. https://www.socibd.com

Yes, and from my hosting there are excellent ones that pay one-off with everything complete with plugins and native apps and updates, support 
dave Leader
dave Sep 9 '18
Folks dont quote that post, i reported it as spam... please remove that from your post so when its del it will be gone.. thanks 
dave Leader
dave Sep 14 '18
+1 Chris_W

Sell your products in the Oxwall Store like everyone else does please.  We do not advocate users purchasing plugins outside of the store environment.  

AppXprt
AppXprt Sep 14 '18

Quote from David
Quote from ViXiV Technologies When I blow the store up with new plugins maybe you'll change your mind ;-)

Yeah, but when you charge $100 bucks for a plugin.... for an open source software project that has been abandoned and not updated in two years... you can't seriously expect this will change the opinions of people still clinging to hope that Oxwall isn't dead.  $100 bucks is just greedy.
I'm not here to work for free, I am here to help but also to make money. Oxwall is not dead just because you haven't seen a release zip in 2 years, look at commit history where Oxwall gets developed (GITHUB):
https://github.com/oxwall/oxwall

Updated 9 Days ago... Yeap... No updates in 2 years.... Wait...................................

You think $100 is greedy? Hah, wait till the Advanced and Pro get released at $150 and $200. 
I just developed the most advanced dynamic client side service worker caching system in existence, I suppose you would like me to provide it for free?

You know what is even more difficult than the service worker caching which was actually fun? Push Notifications... It's horrible, but I've been adamantly working every day to provide a better solution that works on the fly without GCM/FCM/OneSignal and have it almost completed.

These plugins are expensive, because they aren't just your normal plugins. These plugins don't give you a little added functionality in Oxwall, they turn your entire Oxwall site into a PWA in the push of a few buttons. I really don't think you understand what all has been involved in the development of these plugins, but if you feel you can roll your own solution, please be my guest as I've even provided much of the information on doing so!

The Forum post is edited by AppXprt Sep 14 '18
AppXprt
AppXprt Sep 14 '18
Also the last I checked, the plugins I was able to release so far have gotten the community pumped, gotten developers pumped, encouraged further plugin development, encouraged discussion, encouraged the creation of a new company, encouraged the creation of a new fork. It shows that Oxwall can actually do new tricks, and tricks that were just introduced as recent as 2016.

I guess it's time to announce this...

We are working on a new Oxwall Fork and I have decided to look into extended the Mobile version further:

https://github.com/esase/mobile

Honestly, our primary focus initially should be implementing further security and fixing some bugs, but extending the mobile version is extremely high on my list. Its just that we already have some critical security issues that we have been aware of for quite some time that need to be addressed first.

So... If you would like to see further growth, bug fixes, security fixes, new features and new plugins then get involved! 

Learn, Discuss, Code and Implement! We need people to be involved, give us ideas, and please alert us to issues! Someone start a bug tracker for us, or we will, either way stuff is getting done.

Donations and Supporting your Developers by purchasing plugins only helps to further all of our growth and ensure devs want to stick around and new dev's join. I'm personally trying to get other developers I know involved to gain talent for all of us.

Developers don't want to be where they're not wanted and sometimes that is directly indicated by how much money they are making for their time spent on a project... 

Plain and Simple.

AppXprt
AppXprt Sep 14 '18
LoL... Oh you Devs... Wanting to charge money for code you spend hundreds if not thousands of hours working on, how dare you want to eat and survive and pay bills like everyone else...

Who, in Life, works for free here?

Anyone???

dave Leader
dave Sep 14 '18
+100000000000000000000000000  ViXiV  

Things are happening folks, even while you continue with posts that talk about the end, the next phase is well on its way and will be presented when the time is right.   

Keep the faith

Keep dreaming

Keep discussing

Keep coding

and most of all ........ drum roll .................................. 

Keep a cool head :)

Morena Milani
Morena Milani Sep 14 '18
Quote from dave Folks dont quote that post, i reported it as spam... please remove that from your post so when its del it will be gone.. thanks 
Dave I can not remove it I'm wrong 
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Sep 15 '18
Guys, 

I dont care about the price....as long as developers commit themselves to fix bugs on their plugins, update their plugins if needed and respond to issues regarding their plugins and lastly their plugins deliver as promised...then i will buy...Dave and many other developers can vouch for me that i do support devs. and buy plugins that i need for my website. My website https://www.myvirgo.info it is what it is because of developers like Dave, Sergey, OW Visuals and others who put time and effort plus support to their plugins.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »
This topic is locked