We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Is it Oxwall game over? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
AppXprt
AppXprt Mar 5 '18
Fork it and start a new team...
The Forum post is edited by AppXprt Mar 5 '18
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Mar 5 '18
Guys i need to know this...If Oxwall pulls the plug does that mean our oxwall powered websites will go offline even though we are hosted elsewhere ? I know Admin panel will give a connection error but what i need to know is will we still have our data website, plugins, themes that we bought intact and working effortlessly without any issues on those website just that we wont have updates ?
The Forum post is edited by Webster Molaudi Mar 5 '18
dave Leader
dave Mar 5 '18
ViXiV so you have no concerns about proper licensing?  You cant just fork something and make it your own.  You can use it and you can offer it to others for free under the current license but you cant call it your own.

I dont have any inclination to start my own developement team.  Basically because i dont have the time and i am not here for me, i am here to help others.  I certainly dont make a living doing plugins, at best it might pay gas for the truck and its just a hobby.  Not everyone knows how to code or even how oxwall works so those customers would need to be able to trust anyone that took it over legally. 

Webster - im not sure about the admin, i know what you are talking about with the error in admin.  But im not sure if it goes any deeper if they pull the plug regarding admin. 

I do know that if they pull the plug on the store that no plugins will work because it has to check for proper licensing. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Mar 6 '18
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Mar 6 '18
Hi Everybody!

It's been so long since I posted something in this forum too.

I agree with ViXiV Technologies. I see a lot of complains but nobody has given any real solution yet.

Here is my thoughts regarding this topic:

1. Oxwall is not closing. If they do they lose all their 3rd party plugins compatible with the Skadate software. That would hurt their Skadate Software.

2. Team not involved in the forum doesn't mean Oxwall is dead.

3. A community is not their creators only, but all the 3rd party devs, leaders, business people, regular customers, students, enthusiasts. Everybody is part of the community.

4. They are still approving plugins, which means they do not intend to close this, and that take us back to point #1.

5. Oxwall repo is still active, you can update manually downloading the zip with all the changes up to date.

6. Leaders are intended to be encouraging people to answer topics and get them more involved instead of let them feel they have something to fear.

7. In the case Oxwall were closing, I'm ready to take the project further, we make our own Oxwall fork and I would be the project leader. Compatibility with existing licenses is a must so you don't have to buy if you already bought. All legal with no issues.

8. Since the first day I decided to make my own Oxwall plugin, I saw a lot of potential in here, this project may become even better than wordpress or any other software in the market. It is strong, powerful and reliable piece of software.

9. I haven't done the point 7 yet because is pointless to have the community divided in 2. That will be if one of this 2 scenarios are met: Oxwall closes or we get enough donations to start full part in the project. I know this software is Open Source but takes a lot of time, work and manpower to maintain keep it updated, answering to the community, that working people needs to be paid in some way. If you agree to make regular donations then we could have something good in here. If all we can get are just words and no money, we will not be able to do it.

This is my current status:

I'm still working in a big project for a company, as soon as the contract is over and we deliver the product, I will be ready to put all our efforts if you are ready to be involved too.

In the next few months I will be adding more plugins to this store and a Oxwall Messenger (Android, iOS and WindowsPhone).

So you afraid should be not, if you want, we can make this great again.

Senior Developer.

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Mar 6 '18
dave Leader
dave Mar 6 '18
Hi SD, 

First thanks for the reply, it is good to hear from you regardless if we totally agree on some points or not.  :)  

1. Oxwall is not closing. If they do they lose all their 3rd party plugins compatible with the Skadate software. That would hurt their Skadate Software.

If they did close and wanted to keep skadate going they could easily remedy this with a few code mods and a skadate update.  It would be nothing for them to create a skadate store.  Skalfa has not replied to any of my messages in almost a year now. 

I dont think this topic was referring to the paid version, just the open source and forum in which alot of people depend on.  I am sure that many are concerned that they may be forced to use the paid version to keep their site going, that is the big concern. 

4. They are still approving plugins, which means they do not intend to close this, and that take us back to point #1

I had asked this question early on in my inquiries and did not realize they were still approving plugins, thanks for the heads up on that.  I thought that maybe they did approve some new themes but i was not sure.  If i had known this i would have probably reacted alittle different in my replies even though there are still some concerns. 

5. Oxwall repo is still active, you can update manually downloading the zip with all the changes up to date.

My question would be without team replies or any word at all about what is going on, how could we trust what is being created since we dont know who is doing the updates?  

You dont just go poof as a team and expect people to download updates blindly. 

6. Leaders are intended to be encouraging people to answer topics and get them more involved instead of let them feel they have something to fear.

I agree with this as long as Oxwall meets us half way but they are not.  I respect that you do this more for a living than i do SD since i am now for the most part retired, but right is right regardless of how it effects our pocketbook.  I dont give a rats butt about how my concerns may effect sales. It is much more important that users know that the team is alive and well and still doing their job, and the sites users have built will continue to work going forward.  In this case no news is not good news. 

All of use including you SD spend tons of time in forum discussions of the past under the direction of Ross in which i was told to put together some practicle solutions and Ross would assist in getting things done.   My many years of efforts and requests finally becomming reality, i thought.  

Then after all that all of us spent talking about this and i finally got it submitted, the team just went poof.  No word, no nothing, just gone...  Am i pissed, you bet i am!!  But not for me, i currently dont run a oxwall site at the moment.  I am pissed because everything we did and all the time we spent was for nothing, they were just blowing wind up my butt for many years, that is not how you treat people regardless of title. 

However i am not trashing oxwall, just the people behind it that dont give us any kind of respect or consideration.   Oxwall is great software and i love it but it also takes a great team behind it to make it doable.   Hey if they want to take my leader tag away i really dont care, it was never about title for me anyway, it was about helping people.  But volunteers cant make the ship go if we have no control and no permissions. 

Finally i am not trying to put fear into people, i am only being honest with what i know and what i gather.  If oxwall wants to rebuttal the topic, that would be awesome, i would love to hear from them and i do hope they prove me wrong. 

The main reason why many have concerns is that normally if an open source project or really any company or organization has issues or changes they will let users know. What is NOT normal is complete silence for almost a year now, and thats why people have concerns. 

:)

The Forum post is edited by dave Mar 6 '18
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Mar 7 '18
+100 DAVE
Quote from dave Hi SD, 

First thanks for the reply, it is good to hear from you regardless if we totally agree on some points or not.  :)  

If they did close and wanted to keep skadate going they could easily remedy this with a few code mods and a skadate update.  It would be nothing for them to create a skadate store.  Skalfa has not replied to any of my messages in almost a year now. 

I dont think this topic was referring to the paid version, just the open source and forum in which alot of people depend on.  I am sure that many are concerned that they may be forced to use the paid version to keep their site going, that is the big concern. 

4. They are still approving plugins, which means they do not intend to close this, and that take us back to point #1

I had asked this question early on in my inquiries and did not realize they were still approving plugins, thanks for the heads up on that.  I thought that maybe they did approve some new themes but i was not sure.  If i had known this i would have probably reacted alittle different in my replies even though there are still some concerns. 

My question would be without team replies or any word at all about what is going on, how could we trust what is being created since we dont know who is doing the updates?  

You dont just go poof as a team and expect people to download updates blindly. 

I agree with this as long as Oxwall meets us half way but they are not.  I respect that you do this more for a living than i do SD since i am now for the most part retired, but right is right regardless of how it effects our pocketbook.  I dont give a rats butt about how my concerns may effect sales. It is much more important that users know that the team is alive and well and still doing their job, and the sites users have built will continue to work going forward.  In this case no news is not good news. 

All of use including you SD spend tons of time in forum discussions of the past under the direction of Ross in which i was told to put together some practicle solutions and Ross would assist in getting things done.   My many years of efforts and requests finally becomming reality, i thought.  

Then after all that all of us spent talking about this and i finally got it submitted, the team just went poof.  No word, no nothing, just gone...  Am i pissed, you bet i am!!  But not for me, i currently dont run a oxwall site at the moment.  I am pissed because everything we did and all the time we spent was for nothing, they were just blowing wind up my butt for many years, that is not how you treat people regardless of title. 

However i am not trashing oxwall, just the people behind it that dont give us any kind of respect or consideration.   Oxwall is great software and i love it but it also takes a great team behind it to make it doable.   Hey if they want to take my leader tag away i really dont care, it was never about title for me anyway, it was about helping people.  But volunteers cant make the ship go if we have no control and no permissions. 

Finally i am not trying to put fear into people, i am only being honest with what i know and what i gather.  If oxwall wants to rebuttal the topic, that would be awesome, i would love to hear from them and i do hope they prove me wrong. 

The main reason why many have concerns is that normally if an open source project or really any company or organization has issues or changes they will let users know. What is NOT normal is complete silence for almost a year now, and thats why people have concerns. 

:)

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Mar 7 '18
I think i would never agree with you so much Dave because we almost always have 90% different opinions about many things here at oxwall, but this time you are 100% correct in everything you say :)

hopefully some good news from the oxwall owner will bee posted in this topic or outside this topic....

Thanks

ow-ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Mar 7 '18
Sean
Sean Mar 7 '18
If Oxwall.com does go down people will find a workaround regarding the plugins checking for updates etc.

I've already had a little look, not in depth by any means and it seems pretty easy. 

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Mar 7 '18
Sean easy for you maybe but not easy for they who not good at coding...but if i can add you on my skype list and some MORE good coders like SD i would feel safe more if the light goes out...but if the light goes out and you have nobody help you....then probably you are screwed :)

yes i know my english suxs...sorry about that :)

Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Mar 7 '18
@dave, I guess you don't know how github works, you can check on every new change made in the core if you take a look this page. (Who did what where and what's the purpose of the changes)

https://github.com/oxwall/oxwall/commits/master

I don't know exactly how have you worked with them or how much work was for you, but I know this and I hope not having the need to repeat this again: You can keep begging for an answer which I don't think you will be getting soon or do something else about it. I already proposed to do something about it.

If you are afraid that the forum goes down, you can make a crawler to index all the data from the forum and put it inside your own forum. Making such script won't take longer than 1 day, running the script and getting the data I'm not sure how long but I guess not so much.

@Sean what you are proposing is a hardcoded way to make the software vulnerable to piracy. That's the wrong approach, if you are a developer then you know what I'm talking about.

@OW-Ghost Sorry I do not use skype, but if oxwall goes down you can send me an email. You can find my email address inside my plugin's code and inside my website.

I see Tammy is still with us (I guess with another username) and I'm sure she is reading this, so the same goes for her and everybody else, if oxwall goes down you should not be afraid, you have a few days before your websites goes down, we will have our new website for checking licenses up and running before your websites goes down.

Senior Developer.

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Mar 7 '18
dave Leader
dave Mar 7 '18
SD you are correct i have never used github.. 

Thanks SD that is good news. :) sounds like a plan.. 

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Mar 8 '18
Thanks SD, i will do that :) it was a good advice...
Sean
Sean Mar 8 '18
If Oxwall pull the plug with NO WARNING then I will have no choice. My income comes from my website, so I will have to find a workaround and no I will not feel bad about doing that if they F&*(K us over.

I can't take your word that a new website will be up and running if this place goes down. I need to make contingency plans in case the worse happens. This is my business and my life, I will not let it all be for nothing.
If you get a new website up and running then happy days, but I will be looking at the other option mentioned too.
Quote from Senior Developer @dave, I guess you don't know how github works, you can check on every new change made in the core if you take a look this page. (Who did what where and what's the purpose of the changes)

https://github.com/oxwall/oxwall/commits/master

I don't know exactly how have you worked with them or how much work was for you, but I know this and I hope not having the need to repeat this again: You can keep begging for an answer which I don't think you will be getting soon or do something else about it. I already proposed to do something about it.

If you are afraid that the forum goes down, you can make a crawler to index all the data from the forum and put it inside your own forum. Making such script won't take longer than 1 day, running the script and getting the data I'm not sure how long but I guess not so much.

@Sean what you are proposing is a hardcoded way to make the software vulnerable to piracy. That's the wrong approach, if you are a developer then you know what I'm talking about.

@OW-Ghost Sorry I do not use skype, but if oxwall goes down you can send me an email. You can find my email address inside my plugin's code and inside my website.

I see Tammy is still with us (I guess with another username) and I'm sure she is reading this, so the same goes for her and everybody else, if oxwall goes down you should not be afraid, you have a few days before your websites goes down, we will have our new website for checking licenses up and running before your websites goes down.

Senior Developer.

The Forum post is edited by Sean Mar 8 '18
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Mar 8 '18

I do agree with Sean %110, some people think we run our oxwall websites as a hobby....for some of us it's our livelihood and making money out of them. I have spent more than $1,000.00 on plugins and themes and i can't afford to loose everything, i once did when i switched from Ning.com to Oxwall and believe me that is an expensive exercise guys.

And to get your members / users to come back again telling them to re-register again is not easy because you decided to change the platform.

Like i always tell other developers if you don't update / fix your plugin errors i don't care about license nonsense because my oxwall website is my bread and butter and i paid for your product and expect it to work as advertised...and if i have to pay another developer to modify and tweak your plugin then so be it at the end of the day i need things that work.

I have supported more than 20 developers and only 5 / 10 developers are active and the rest went missing or just quiet on us after we bought their broken or incomplete or incompatible plugins and i had to spend more money to have them fixed  by someone else.

I don't mind spending another $20 / 50$ for someone to fix a $20 / $50 plugin as long as he gets the work done and it works to benefit my business....and fortunately Sean / Dave / OWVisuals / DarrlyB / iDragon so far have lived up to their names and i don't mind paying them or any other developer willing help and offer their services to fix other developers shitty work :( it make me mad that people take our money and leave....!! 

The Forum post is edited by Webster Molaudi Mar 8 '18
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Mar 8 '18
Oxwall have no anser at so far. You Shud download all plugin, themes dokument and acouse Oxwall. Take then a god backup more then one time. I did that.
The Forum post is edited by Ketil Ervik Mar 8 '18
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Mar 8 '18
I agree with Sean....My business is my living....if my site should bee down in 1 week WITH NO NOTICE from oxwall team it would bee a disaster for me and my family. i spend 4 years of my life on this software and build up something for living...

Ow-ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Mar 8 '18
dave Leader
dave Mar 8 '18
Just remember folks that living or not, you should not violate any licenses.  That would be like saying that stealing is ok if you are hungry, or killing someone because they got the job and you didnt is ok because you need the money more than they do, or that it is ok if a doctor does surgery that is not necessary only because he needs the money to make his house payment. 

Wrong is wrong folks, regardless of reason or situation. I respect your positions but have some character and find another legal way.   SD seems to have a worthwhile solution. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Mar 8 '18
dave Leader
dave Mar 8 '18
Im in to offer assistance :)
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Mar 8 '18
Im in to offer assistance and Ideas :)

I like SD ideas if they pull the plug :) but time is money for me and worry it takes time run my website again IF they just pull the plug with no notice ...

STILL i prefer the owner says something about oxwalls future or in another blog or website just so we know more about the future for oxwall ... i will have the same track on repeat to they say something :)))

Thanks

Ow-ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Mar 8 '18
dave Leader
dave Mar 8 '18
Dont think you need to worry about SD, im sure if they did he would act pretty quickly.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »
This topic is locked