We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Is it Oxwall game over? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
Morena Milani
Morena Milani Sep 15 '18
Quote from dave Morena you cant edit the post and remove the quote?  You should be able remove it, I do not know if it's because I'm in Greece
The Forum post is edited by Morena Milani Sep 15 '18
AppXprt
AppXprt Sep 15 '18
Anyone who has a GitHub account, please login and Follow then add a Star for this project (Oxwall Mobile) from the most active OxWall Developer:

https://github.com/esase/mobile

Maybe we can show him that we appreciate his work?

Perhaps if we show some appreciation, he will be more interested in updating it...

The Forum post is edited by AppXprt Sep 15 '18
David
David Sep 19 '18

Quote from ViXiV Technologies I'm not here to work for free, I am here to help but also to make money. Oxwall is not dead just because you haven't seen a release zip in 2 years, look at commit history where Oxwall gets developed (GITHUB):
https://github.com/oxwall/oxwall

Updated 9 Days ago... Yeap... No updates in 2 years.... Wait...................................

The point is... the developers of Oxwall are gone. The project hasn't heard anything from them in forever.  It's abandoned.  You're building a patio for an abandoned property and charging people to sit on the deck while the roof caves in.  It's that simple.  Look at all the devs that tossed expensive plugins out there... then bugged out on us and NEVER offered support when their $h*t stopped working... or never worked right at all.  You're asking for us to take a 100 buck risk for someone to re-carpet over a rotting floor.  That's how I look at it at this point.  If this was 3 years ago... yeah, I would have been in line to buy it.  Now?  yeah, 100 bucks is greedy.  How do we know we can trust you to NOT screw us like so many other devs have while the founders of Oxwall sat back for 2 years and did nothing but allow the forums to go to spam?  You can all disagree with me... but you have to admit...  the mistrust is well-placed and sincerely earned. You can't blame me for feeling how I do, at this point.

dave Leader
dave Sep 19 '18
Folks i agree with alot that has been said here on both sides of this conversation.

Remember, this will never die if WE never let it die.  We have to take action, we have to step in where others left, and we have to push the doors back open that closed on us all. 

How many users have left but have returned, lets face it folks there is nothing else out there like this and we should all realize that by now. 

The developers that left did not have their hearts it in like we thought, they did not want to work for the sale or work after the sale. They just wanted the money without wanting to give the service that comes along with the sale by default.  If you cant do both then you dont need to be in ANY business regardless of what it is.  Consumers have rights and part of those rights is the expectation of service after the sale. 

But when a new day dawns and those same developers try to repeat their one sided business plan, the door will be slammed in their face.  

Nobody is telling anyone they have to be bound for a lifetime of free updates.  But we are saying that you have to provide some kind of service after the sale to be sure your customer is happy with their purchase and knows how to use it, and that it works as stated. 

Much of the team walked away for a reason we dont know, and will probably never know. So for those of us left it is up to all of us to not let this die.  As long as we believe and we take action on those beliefs then it will never die.  

As V said - get involved!  You can wait for someone else to do it or you can take charge and find your own way to contribute.  If your sidewalk is dirty and the city wont clean it, then grab a broom and do it yourself!

Trust me please... it will survive!!  In some fantastic and wonderful ways.

The Forum post is edited by dave Sep 19 '18
dave Leader
dave Sep 19 '18
LOL Chris_W :)
dave Leader
dave Sep 19 '18
I did want to add just one more thing about price here folks.  In the old days of social networking you were lucky if you had a chat room, well a working one anyway... You were also lucky if you had searchs that worked, a member matching process that worked, and dang lucky if your site was more up than down... 

My point is folks is that remember the old saying "be careful what you wish for, you might get it", well you got it. 

All of the fussing and fighting and demanding and need by users wanting more and more features has led to a tech world where a chat is default, searches are now default, matches are now default, so many things that we could never get before are now in scripts by default.  And mobile will follow... its behind i know. 

So understand that with todays tech social needs and all of the things that users just keep begging for, it has all driven up prices.  Yes i agree totally that if it was a profile display item or a simple widget that did nothing but display some data, i would not expect to pay much either.  

But the technical and time requirements to build the "defaults" of tomorrow today are not cheap.  Manpower, brainpower, endless nights reading manuals and learning technical tools and new ways of referring to things.  It all matters when it comes to price.  Time is money in programming and so is exhaustion as well.   

Its no different back in the day when we paid big money for chat stuff or other social connection features to find out half of them were junk.  But then you would come across one that was amazing.  To me that was the old flashchat... boy when i installed that i was blown away. It had bots you could chat with and bells and whistles and just tons of stuff which drove people to your site..   And then it all blew up and now flash is dead.. 

Times change folks, technology changes.  If you run a website and you want to keep up with the jones's, it cost time and money folks. You knew this going into this and if you didnt then you didnt do your research.  

Oh i did say just one more thing didn't i.. ooops ok ill stop... :) 

The Forum post is edited by dave Sep 19 '18
AppXprt
AppXprt Sep 19 '18
Quote from David
Quote from ViXiV Technologies I'm not here to work for free, I am here to help but also to make money. Oxwall is not dead just because you haven't seen a release zip in 2 years, look at commit history where Oxwall gets developed (GITHUB):
https://github.com/oxwall/oxwall

Updated 9 Days ago... Yeap... No updates in 2 years.... Wait...................................

The point is... the developers of Oxwall are gone. The project hasn't heard anything from them in forever.  It's abandoned.  You're building a patio for an abandoned property and charging people to sit on the deck while the roof caves in.  It's that simple.  Look at all the devs that tossed expensive plugins out there... then bugged out on us and NEVER offered support when their $h*t stopped working... or never worked right at all.  You're asking for us to take a 100 buck risk for someone to re-carpet over a rotting floor.  That's how I look at it at this point.  If this was 3 years ago... yeah, I would have been in line to buy it.  Now?  yeah, 100 bucks is greedy.  How do we know we can trust you to NOT screw us like so many other devs have while the founders of Oxwall sat back for 2 years and did nothing but allow the forums to go to spam?  You can all disagree with me... but you have to admit...  the mistrust is well-placed and sincerely earned. You can't blame me for feeling how I do, at this point.

I already have customers, am in correspondence with them within less than an hour. Had one beta test the new versions and am already working on fixing bugs that he has reported. My customers are happy and my plugins work exactly as intended with minimal issues that are already being worked out. I've created a highly advanced service worker that dynamically caches each page that loads, significantly improving load time for clients from which the high price comes. 

I've even identified some bugs in Chrome's handling of service worker quota's and reporting those. We are working on a fork and already have a bug/feature tracker with critical security and feature tickets. 

Why am I NOT going anywhere?

I have 3 Social Media Networks all tied to Mobile Apps using Oxwall that are in the process of becoming successful. I needed new features, security/bug fixes, and new plugins so I decided to become a developer. Mainly because I have knowledge and experience with over 14 languages as well as my official background being in Network/System/Solutions/Infrastructure Architecture. I also love to code and I love Oxwall, because it's the most flexible and stable social media framework. It is the the most complete solution I've been able to find and I've looked in a LOT of frameworks. I found Oxwall 2 years ago and have stuck with it, transitioning over from JamRoom and Diaspora...I have around 100 posts here in the forums and have contributed to the security of Oxwall as well.

I'm sorry that you can't afford my plugins, but please get your facts right. Perhaps in the future they will be cheaper, but not for a quite a while. The next plugin I will be creating is for full Hybrid App Support for getting in the App Stores and will be $250.
Believe what you want for whatever reasons you decide, but if you would David, please refrain from purchasing my plugins. You obviously aren't planning on sticking around and shouldn't need any new Oxwall Features.

For the record Oxwall is still being developed on GitHub and I'm getting absolutely sick and tired of pointing this out for you so please take a look for yourself!

PLEASE, Keep your incompetence to yourself if you are unwilling to observe and recognize the truth.

The Forum post is edited by AppXprt Sep 19 '18
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Sep 19 '18
Oxwall has killed, Owengine has probably also died! I've physically stopped all updates of Oxwall, will not work up, no matter if there's a new one. Mobile is something I will never bother with my brain. No, so far this goes well, despite some bandits on the development side of plugins.
AppXprt
AppXprt Sep 19 '18
Cool Farewell! 

My plugins work extremely well and make creating a PWA painless with literally only having to upload a single 512x512 PNG and clicking save on 3 or 4 settings pages that are already populated settings wise with the best default option for each plugin. It literally populates almost everything for you and handles all the rest, besides providing an icon. 
There is not much more I can do to make this process any more simple.

You may very well want to consider moving on, if it is too much to upload an image and click save 3 or 4 times.

One last thing, if Oxwall is Dead then why are you still here? 

We really don't need trolls, negativity, assumptions, or unrelated personal opinions here at all. 

Fair Warning: I will meet it all in kind with my own personal opinions regarding your incompetence.

dave Leader
dave Sep 19 '18
OK everyone needs to calm down a bit... take a walk and get some fresh air... there are stresses that exist that it will take time to fix... in the meantime just know that some people have faith in the future and take action accordingly...   This is a trying time fo us all, but it is also a very exciting time. None of us can afford to burn bridges.. 

Lets please change the tone on this or ill will have it closed..   Actually im sort of thinking it may have run its course already. 

AppXprt
AppXprt Sep 19 '18
Yes, please close this garbage.
AppXprt
AppXprt Sep 19 '18
Answer one thing for me, if Oxwall is dead why are the main Skalfa developer and others still committing changes to its master branch on GitHub?

If there was no intention for Oxwall's future at all, then why not abandon the GitHub project entirely? 
You all seem like you have no idea what you're talking about all of this is based on CONjecture and ASSumptions.

It's not even hard to produce a package of their latest updates... 

Download the zip and copy the ow_install directory to it...

We are working on a release candidate, so stop bitching so much about finally moving forward!

Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Sep 20 '18

No, I do not think blowing this up is a necessity. Oxwall is quite good in its present-day condition, also owengine. I'm running the latter as it goes faster on server, and that they promised that there would be a broader development there! especially on the mobile side. But the reality is that much has not happened either!

If there is a development in the hidden! It's good, but now so many developers have left the ship, some upgrade, if it comes! can lead to significantly more problems just to let things go as they are now.

Of course I'm out here to choose any changes, especially on the plugin side. You also have own opinions about different things, something others just have to live with.

The Forum post is edited by Ketil Ervik Sep 20 '18
JB TECH
JB TECH Sep 20 '18

Too bad there's no sage option for the forum. Maybe we can add one? Lol

I'd like to request a closure on this as well. This topic is over a year or so old and goes from off-topic banter to personal attacks. It's a bad representation of what was a good and helpful community.

Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Sep 20 '18
I have never gone to personal attacks in my comments, never. I've just said what I mean about the development of plugins, oxwall to what I mean and what responsibilities they have not taken and what I think they should have done. Often hard criticism, but still within the serious. Clearly, I counted against criticism, but everyone can not agree with everything and everyone, so it's just. No, I never thought that this thread would get such an extent. I think it's healthy that people get aired what they mean. And instead of being annoyed, maybe different developers could take the criticism to do something constructive with them! And if you look at the threads, I do not think I've filled up the discussions here!

May eventually add the following;

Oxwall developers / some plugin developers have vid there silenced, contributing to this uncertainty and speculation among from users. One could have been confused with all the uncertainty, if those responsible had been bothered to tell what really happened. but not one word for several years is to be regarded as very junk behavior. And there is no excuse for that. Not at all.

The Forum post is edited by Ketil Ervik Sep 20 '18
Rob
Rob Sep 21 '18

Dear fellow users and developers,

Maybe it's time to close all heated discussions and nonsense and maybe remove that from the forum.?

Putting the noses in the right direction to keep Oxwall open source for the future.!

Encourage the team of Skalfa LLC or Oxwall Foundation (whoever that may be at the moment, on the attach will be indicated at this time) to develop or release a new and improved version of the basic community software.?

Encourage the active plugin / theme developers to place new plugins / themes in the store, but also provide support for them.!

Setting up a valuation system for the developers might also be something to encourage developers to do their best for their customers.?

The non-active or long-gone developers banned from the store, even if that means that the plugins that a lot of users have purchased will disappear.?

Perhaps the licenses should be put in a certain database so that they still continue to work on the websites of the buyers.?

In our view, the Team of Skalfa LLC or Oxwall Foundation which have set up Oxwall open source community software should ensure that https://developers.oxwall.com/ functions properly.

In short, let's all keep Oxwall in the air and improve it, because that will lead to more sales.!

With regards,

Admiraliteit Imedia

The Forum post is edited by Rob Sep 21 '18
Attachments:
  Oxwall foundation.PNG (467Kb)
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Sep 21 '18

Take from buyers plugin, anyway, is the wrong way to go forward.

Why so many users to buyers are so frustrated, is becouse the developers of the plugin and Oxwall themselves have to blame for with total silence. As you sow, you harvest. Time that some developers of Oxwall and plugins stop being so nonchalant above users and become more informative!

The Forum post is edited by Ketil Ervik Sep 21 '18
AppXprt
AppXprt Sep 21 '18
So, Apparently I was entirely wrong and PWA's are allowed in the App Stores.

Microsoft will even add it automatically in the their store once Bing crawls your PWA site...
$99/Year for Apple, $25 One Time for Google Play Store:

https://debuggerdotbreak.judahgabriel.com/...eres-what-i-learned/

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Sep 22 '18
PWA's in app stores? is it true? really? i can not belive it is true?
David
David Sep 22 '18

"Answer one thing for me, if Oxwall is dead why are the main Skalfa developer and others still committing changes to its master branch on GitHub?"

Dude... Github isn't a replacement for an official update.  I don't care what they're d*cking around with and playing with on Github.  That doesn't help us.  And if you install that random mess from Github, thinking it's a done deal and "Oxwall Lives On" because someone is tinkering around with the code a little... then you're a fool.

"

You all seem like you have no idea what you're talking about all of this is based on CONjecture and ASSumptions."

Pffft!  Okayyyyyy... and YOU know the "real deal", right?   Please, enlighten us with your inside knowledge, bub.  Fact is... NOBODY knows crap because NOBODY has heard from OxHell Devs in 2 flippin' years!  When you treat your community like this... why would WE want to remain loyal... and why would WE trust Oxwall... and why would we even WANT to be a part of it KNOWING that they don't give two sh*ts about talking with us... answering our emails and messages... taking care of us or the community for TWO entire years?   Don't be an idiot, man. Seriously... you're trying to put band aids on a gun shot wound with plugins to enhance or overwrite code that nobody is OFFICIALLY maintaining in a community that is being IGNORED by the creators.  That's the definition of stupidity or greed or both.  The reality is *YOU * don't have any idea what you're talking about, outside of the fact that you want a boat-ton of money for plugins to add functionality to something that hasn't seen an OFFICIAL update or any communication from the Developers in years.  Now THOSE, sir... are the facts. Period.

Quote from ViXiV Technologies Answer one thing for me, if Oxwall is dead why are the main Skalfa developer and others still committing changes to its master branch on GitHub?

If there was no intention for Oxwall's future at all, then why not abandon the GitHub project entirely? 
You all seem like you have no idea what you're talking about all of this is based on CONjecture and ASSumptions.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »
This topic is locked